Chapter 3 - History in the Present

Before I leave my last class for the day, I put my earbuds in and turn on a podcast. Mom and Don don't usually sit around talking to me about history all the time, so I might as well have strangers professionally doing that.

I walk down the hallway to the library, checking my phone. There are some new texts from August. I've responded to him a few times. Just not when he asks to meet up. Mostly to his random "how are you" texts and any history questions he asks me. When he asks to meet up, I just tell him I'm busy and hide out in the library or Mom's classroom.

August: Hey, it's Friday, so you free? Or at least staying after school? I'm assuming because of the game.

Right. The football game. Mom and Dad have always made it a big deal to watch and support Don, so I go to every game. Not that I can even go home right when school ends on any other day since Mom stays after the last bell to finish up some work. So I don't have a valid excuse. I can lie, and I have, but who's "busy" on a Friday? And hours before the game?

I type a few things before deleting and trying again:

Me: No, have things to do.

Too curt

Me: Sorry, I can't. Kind of busy.

Doing what? It's Friday

Me: Went to go steal the Key of Bastille. Get back to me later.

Honestly, that's pretty realistic. But before I can hit send or think of something less psychotic to say, I get another text from August.

August: Not to be creepy but look up.

I glance up, meeting August's eyes. He smiles and waves, tucking his phone away. He walks over to me, and I take out an earbud, stepping to the side of the hallway.

"Hey," he says. "What's up?"

I shrug. "Planning to steal the Key of Bastille."

He smiles, nodding. "Nice. Does that mean you're busy because I did actually want some help today."

It takes me a second to process what he said. Who responds like that when someone confesses to making a plan to steal something? But when the shock becomes amusement, I ask, "With what?"

"Just going over my notes because I'm never really sure if I get all the important information down or not."

I nod. "Yeah. That sounds fine."

His smile widens. "Thanks. You mind if we do it in the art room?" I gesture for him to lead the way. Even as he leads, he makes sure that we're side-by-side and keeps a conversation going. "So what're you listening to?"

"A podcast." I pause it and take out the other earbud. "About history, but I'm pretty sure you could've guessed."

He shrugs. "For all I knew, you could've been listening to absolutely nothing just so people leave you alone." When I glance at him, he elaborates, "Marcus is doing that a lot now because people are still asking him about what it's like for his dad to be dating your mom."

I nod, wrapping the cord around my fingers. "Makes sense. And smart of him actually."

"Are people still bothering you about it?"

"It's kind of died down, but sometimes."

August nods, slipping inside the art room before me. There isn't anyone here. Not even the art teacher, but August heads straight for the back counter. He pulls out some tools from a cabinet, placing them on the countertop. I drop my backpack by the closest table and lift myself onto the counter next to the tools, tucking my feet beneath me.