Chapter 8 - What Feels like the Verge of Nuclear Disaster

August and I fall into a certain rhythm. If we see each other in the morning or throughout the day during passing periods, we'll stop to have a conversation. He usually seeks me out right before lunch ends, so we can walk to Mom's class together. Then we either hang out in the library or the art room after school where I give him more details about what Mom taught that day or we just talk about whatever comes to mind. On Saturdays, we hang out at the history museum where I have yet to take over a tour.

I don't know if it's intentional - it probably is - but I never see Marcus when I'm with August. And August never mentions him around me either. It really is like he's keeping our friendship between us, and it's completely separate from his friendship with Marcus. Which is perfectly fine with me. And I'm sure it's the same for Marcus. Hopefully, it's fine with August, too. I just hope it doesn't put a strain on him.

The only times I really see Marcus is the "family" dinners on Sundays and the football games on Fridays. And we sure as hell don't make the same mistake of talking to each other unless it's just polite conversation during the meal or just discussing certain plays the team makes at games. Our goodbyes are quick and standard after both events, too. Neither of us brings up what happened at the first dinner, and I almost think I can get away with those being the only times I interact with Marcus.

But that's just stupid of me.

Tobias: Come to the cafeteria.

I'm tempted to ignore the text and say I didn't see it if I see Tobias later, but it's Tobias. And no matter what, I don't ignore Tobias. We're not related - yet - but he's probably my favorite sibling right now. And forever now that I'm thinking about it.

I make my way to the cafeteria and spot Tobias waiting by the doors. He smiles when he sees me, pulling me into a hug.

"Why did you need me?" I ask.

"Sibling lunch," he says.

I blink. "What?"

"You, me, Don, and Marcus." He claps his hands together, smiling. "We're gonna have lunch together right now."

I narrow my eyes, tightening my grip on my backpack straps. "Why...?"

"Because why not?"

"Because..." Marcus hates me. I don't get along with him. We're probably gonna end up fighting. We haven't been fighting and it would be a shame if we did end up fighting. I don't want to be around him. I don't want to waste energy being around him. I don't want to think of what could be if I didn't feel all this. "... I have things to do."

Tobias arches an eyebrow. "Like what?"

"Homework."

"You can do that later."

"It's a lot of homework."

Tobias gives me an exasperated look. "Ashlyn. Do I have to pay you?"

And suddenly he has all my attention. "Depends. How much?"

He rolls his eyes. "Ten dollars."

"Twenty."

He lightly pulls on my hair, but he pulls out his wallet. "No one ever told me little sisters would be so demanding..."

I take the twenty-dollar bill from him and tuck it in my pocket. "Only me."

He laughs, ruffling my hair. "Looking forward to it."

Tobias leads the way into the cafeteria. The moment his back is turned to me, I let my smile slip. The twenty dollars is a plus, but if it was any other person asking me to hang out with Marcus, I would never do it. Not even if they offered to resurrect Lafayette from the dead and let me talk to him.