Chapter 18 - Memories of Lyla

The big ball of warmth exhaled on my body through the open window in Asher's room

The big ball of warmth exhaled on my body through the open window in Asher's room. Its hot breath made me twist and turn in Asher's massive king-sized bed. I began rolling over and over until I jumped awake realizing that I was centimeters from falling off of the fluffy cloud. I slowly raised off the bed, my sleepy body sluggishly feeling around my pants for my stupid phone.

Finally locating it, it blatantly glared at me. I cowered, slowly adjusting my dull eyes so that I could finally read the time, 9:30. My watery eyes stared at the screen a little longer using the soft sheets to block some of the sun's breathing. The time looked awfully familiar until my brain remembered its importance.

"Class just started!" I jumped out of the bed rushing out the door. Scrambling to prepare for school I realized that I never did see Asher in his bedroom and come to think of it when I was rolling around the bed felt like cold winds nipping my mourning skin.

I raced for the door but not before grabbing an apple and saying what I say every morning. "Lyla come on or you'll be late!"

The words flowed perfectly like muscle memory. Salty water filled my sockets viciously as I remembered when I would rush her to hurry up so we that could get to class on time. This time, however, no one was in the empty house, only me and my painful memories.

I slowly made my way out of the house losing all form of motivation to get to class. I just couldn't believe that she was gone and possibly...

It hurt too much and I just wanted to crawl back into Asher's comfy bed and never get up again. I pledged that this time when I take a visit to the Alkanzer library that I'll find something, some clue to help me find her.

On my long torturous walk, my eyes gazed over the old classrooms and important monumental buildings like the libraries and the King's eye ruins as my feet kept going on the filthy concrete. The bright blue sky with cotton clouds and the sun whose smiles cascaded onto my back was the exact opposite of what I was feeling.

Loud car honks frightened me from my mourning as Asher's car pulled up to me. "B-Bryer?" I couldn't believe that the shy boy could drive. I mean he stutters so much that it's a hazard and his anxiety is through the roof. I walked over to the silver Chevrolet as he winds down the tinted windows. "W-what are you d-doing here?"

"Getting to class...why didn't you wake me up this morning?"

I walked to the other side of the machine, making my way inside the beautiful car. The brown interior was something to fawn over, something that I should invest in once I buy a car for myself.

"I-I have the extra e-early m-morning shift...y-you know t-the 6:00 am one? I d-didn't want to disturb y-you." He drove off into the distance playing some heavy metal that contrasts his personality. "I'm s-supposed to pick up A-Allie for her n-next class, w-where are you h-heading off to?"

"Journalism section 1, where are you going?" My eyes were still a bit watery from the breakdown but I didn't want to make my droopy attitude impact anyone's day.