𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟒

CHAPTER FOURsupply & demand

CHAPTER FOUR
supply & demand

MY BACK CONTINUED aching as I rolled around on my hard mattress, the sun beaming through my open window. No matter how badly I tried to go back to sleep, my back simply wouldn't let me.

Rubbing my eyes, I reached for the small analog clock on my bedside table. It occurred to me that, even though it was bright outside, I had no idea what time it was. The clatter of falling objects shocked me wide awake, allowing me to see the time clearly.

2:37pm.

Fuck, how long did I sleep for?

However inconsiderate it was for my back, I sprung out of bed in a rush to get myself ready. I had to stop by Dave's Liquors today, which was on the other side of The Cut. It was the only place that wouldn't ID me, despite the fact that Dave had known my mother and was well aware of my age. Business over morals, I guess.

Stepping over the vast pile of clothes on my floor, I managed to get to my wardrobe. I didn't have many clothes, partly because half of them were on the floor, but I also wasn't the girl who had endless piles of cash to spend on cute little outfits. Any cash I made from waitressing went to either the gas bill, water bill, electricity bill, or my mom's cigarette fund.

After diving through the entirety of the clothes I had, I pulled out my go-to pair of black jean shorts and an orange bikini. Remembering the party that me and the other Pogues agreed to crash later tonight, I scrambled to find my black flannel, knowing I'd be cold by the end of the night.

I glanced in the mirror, a look of pride on my face as I admired the outfit I had pulled together. The tangerine coloured swimsuit accentuated my soft tan, whilst being toned down by the accompanying clothes. I wasn't one for a showy dress sense, but the closeted girly-girl in me couldn't help but squeal at how good I looked.

Hearing my stomach grumble, I made my way into the kitchen for some breakfast. I didn't see my mom on the couch, so the next best guess was that she was in the bathroom. I pulled together a half-empty bowl of cereal, since the rest of the box had run out. I was sick of eating cereal every morning, but it's not like we could afford anything else other than store-brand Raisin Bran.

"Mornin' sugar. How'd you sleep?" I heard my mother's thick accent sound from across the room.

"Bad. Glad to see you're up today."

"Yeah, me too. I took what you said yesterday to heart and decided to act like a mom for once."

"I'm sorry for shouting yesterday." I smiled softly.

"It's okay, baby. You were right." she took a strand of hair from behind my ear and twirled it around her finger.

"I'm still going out for a few days, do you need me to leave you some money for food?"