𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟒𝟎

CHAPTER FORTY i'm a fool for you

CHAPTER FORTY
i'm a fool for you

"GRAB ONTO THE post, we're here." Rafe's voice caused my reading to pause, immediately following his instruction.

I took in the sight around me in an attempt to gain any clues as to where he took us. A small, fairly run down building sat isolated in the middle of the area- making me wonder what was particularly romantic in his choice of location.

However, reminding myself of the beauty behind the boarded-up windows on the mainland, I knew not to get too judgemental before the secret unveiled itself.

"There should be a rope somewhere by your feet," he continued, "tie it to that silver hoop."

"I know how to moor a boat, Rafe." I scoffed.

"Congratulations." he kissed my cheek to follow his sarcastic comment, taking the first steps onto the dock.

His hand extended out to mine, helping me reach onto the wooden surface. I ensured to keep the book firmly in my grip whilst we walked closer to the front entrance, eventually catching sight of a sign that gave away the mystery of his chosen destination.

"Never took you as the guy to care for animal shelters." I stared at him with an adoring look, unknowingly contrasting my spoken words. "I swear you're nothing like what you perceive yourself to be."

"And what would that be?" he asked with an intrigued tone of voice.

"Do you not remember what an ass you were at the start of this summer? I swear the hair gel is seeping into your brain and giving you memory loss." I ruffled his hair with my free hand, causing him to gently shove me in response.

"Lisa's boy? You're earlier than I expected." an older woman greeted us with a bright smile.

Preventing our playful fight to go any further, she pulled him into a tight embrace, swiftly catching sight of my raised eyebrows. I wasn't quite used to physical affection when it came to greetings, my discomfort becoming evident once she hit me with a similar hug. My palm rested against her cardigan as her perfume overwhelmed my senses, hearing a faint chuckle come from where Rafe stood.

"Camille, this is Dani. Dani, Camille."

"God, where are my manners?" she gathered her hair over one shoulder, accompanied by the sound of her various bracelets clattering against each other. "I'm his mom's old friend, promise I don't mean any harm."

Despite feeling freaked out by her welcoming actions, the news of their relation made any worry fade away. Even if we'd only talked about her once before, I knew Rafe's mom was important to him, and him introducing me to the person closest to her raised the infatuation I had to a new high.