𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟓𝟐

CHAPTER FIFTY TWO the downfall of romeo & juliet

CHAPTER FIFTY TWO
the downfall of romeo & juliet

NOW THAT EVERYONE'S eyes were pierced towards me and Rafe, the only option we had left was to run.

Courtesy of Amelia, all attention was now turned onto us, glances of fear and shock bouncing off the walls of the frat house and deflecting back in our direction. It was no secret that I adored attention- negative or positive- but I never saw myself in the position where it could be this bad. As the situation became blurred with the substances I'd taken, an overwhelming nausea took over me, forcing itself to be buried under the layers of adrenaline also coursing through my body.

Signed off with a sharp exchange of eye contact, Rafe took my hand into his and pulled us both off the couch, using his athletic advantage to drag us in the direction of the front door. We rushed past the sea of sweaty bodies, unwillingly brushing limbs with anyone in our path. Discomfort wasn't a weighing matter when running was our primary focus, and we were bound to face heaps of it in order to make our getaway.

"Someone stop them!" I heard the she-devil scream in the same high-pitched voice, "I found the bitch, I want my 20k!"

The sickness in my stomach was becoming more overpowering by the minute, each wide stride I took causing my mind to spin. If not for Rafe keeping me stable and hauling me along with him, the floor would have swallowed me long ago; an ironic phrase used since just moments ago it was the only thing I wished for.

Fading into the moonlit outdoors, the blue lights from the party were now a thing of the past, my eyesight still persisting on fogging the 2 settings together. Less people had their eyes on us ever since we stepped onto the porch, though that didn't stop Rafe from his sprint in the slightest.

He finally slowed down once reaching the driveway, letting go of my hand in order to scour for the car keys in his pocket. The speed of the last minute met with my sudden stop installed an instant set of autopiloted panic into me. My chest staggered to catch a breath whilst my hands manically clutched onto the nape of my neck; no matter how hard I tried to breathe, I simply couldn't.

Suffocating in my own guilt, my body completely shut down. Any straight lines became curves, colours turning to smudges, and my inhales all the more shallow. I no longer had any control over myself, barely realising the tears that flooded my cheeks until they had pooled up on the surface of my skin.

When asked the question of what I imagined drowning to feel like, I'd have no other choice but to refer to how I felt now.

I was drowning in the consequences of love.

"What have we done, Rafe?" I choked on my own tongue, "What have we done?"

The question moved into a repeated shout as my hands trailed from the back of my head, covering my face with them and letting my nails scratch me wherever they wanted. Losing focus on our escape, I was left in the endless spiral of my mind, each of my thoughts cycling back to cause irreversible damage. My skin was starting to slick with sweat, glueing my hair to my forehead and only adding to the asphyxiation I experienced.