21

It was happening again.

Fundy, falling to the floor, dead.

George, falling to the floor, dead.

Dream didn't believe it at first, staring at George in disbelief and shock. Techno looked concerned for a moment, but Dream wasn't looking at him. His eyes were locked on George. No, no.

Dream's limbs shook and he let out a choked noise, his face crumpling in realization. No, he can't be—

The door to the room burst opened and Sapnap ran in, coming back to help Dream. He froze in his tracks, his eyes widening and falling on George. There was a long silence before Sapnap whispered, "George?"

This snapped Dream out of his frozen stupor. Anger he had never felt before boiled in his veins and he looked up at Technoblade. Pure rage clouded his vision and he screamed, pulling out the blood dagger.

Techno's eyes widened a fraction at the dagger, but he shrugged it off and said, "You can't kill me."

Dream said nothing, charging at the god with no restraints. Sapnap ran forward to help. Bursts of fire rained down on Technoblade, burning his skin and singing his hair. His braid fell loose and pink hair became frayed and tangled as they fought.

Sapnap swooped around and wrapped his arms around Techno's throat. Fire burned through his arms, searing the god's throat and he screamed, loud and painful. Dream placed the tip of the dagger over Technoblade's heart.

Techno's eyes were wide and pleading, but no words were coming out of his mouth. Dream sneered, "This is what you deserve."

He plunged the dagger into his heart and Techno screamed. Dream watched as the jewel at the end of the dagger's hilt became darker as it filled with blood. The god's eyes went wide and unseeing and Sapnap released him.

Dream left the dagger in his heart, not caring that Technoblade— his mentor, his almost-father— was gone. He ran to George, falling onto his knees.

Blood seeped through Dream's pants and boots, but he didn't care. His hands flew to George's face, trying to shake him back to life, but George's eyes were open and unfocused, staring at nothing.

Tears streaked down Dream's face as he whispered, "George? George please, come back. I-I need you. Don't leave me."

When there was no response, Dream grew frantic, shaking his shoulders. Tears blinded his vision. "George! Nononono— we're supposed to be together. We-we have time. You can't leave."

His hand reached for George's, which was all bloody from the blood pooled around him. He placed George's hand to his cheek, clinging onto it desperately. He hiccupped. "Remember the countryside house you wanted? We can still have that, we can still get a cat! Just come back... I need you here."

Dream's chest shook with sobs and his hand grazed over the bracelet on George's wrist. His face crumpled even more at the significance of it. A promise.

"George?" He said weakly, "I gave you my heart, remember? Bring it back to me, come back."

When there was still no response, Dream's head fell onto George's chest. He wailed, "You can't be dead! I love you!"

When he felt no heart beat, Dream's heart shattered.

Not again.

Overwhelming pain coursed through his entire body and he felt nothing he'd ever imagined as his heart broke for the second time.

I will protect you with my life, Dream had said. He failed.

In every way, he failed.

Dream's heart ached in a way he had felt before. A bitter feeling of anguish that consumed him like before, but it was different this time.