Chapter 21 : Waiting For You

Shikamaru left Suna weeks ago. Making it one more day until Temari's return to Konoha to see his lazy ass again. She was dating him, officially. She gave into his nagging request happily.

Temari felt good about their relationship. She didn't feel tied down, overwhelmed, or forced into anything. She was excited for what was to come between the two of them. She was excited to see how things would differ with them working together, their lunch breaks, their bickering, their cloud watching. She was excited because this is what he wanted, to be with her troublesome self, and she couldn't wait to use it against him whenever he would be compelled to complain.

Although, she was beginning to get worried. She had not heard from him since he left. She knew he would be busy, he was on a mission. She didn't know how long for either. He said he would be back to meet her at the gates of Konoha, but missions don't always last the length they are intended to. No matter all the promises he made, there is no guarantee he would be coming back at all.

Temari sat at her desk in her room with her head propped in her hand sluggishly. Her view out her window was blocked by sand roaring by from the sand storm. Little knives of sand clattered against her window and she was grateful for the enclosure that guarded her. It was said that the storm was to be over later that night, which was right in time for her journey back to Konoha in the morning. She was thankful to be leaving the storming desert for clearer air.

Temari had her bags ready to go on the edge of her bed. She packed whatever needed to move. Yes, move. Not fully, of course. Gaara and Kankuro decided since she was staying for three months, and was constantly roaming back and forth between villages, she should have a semi-permanent place to stay in Konoha. Gaara ran it past Naruto who easily agreed on setting up an apartment for her.

Temari was overwhelmed with anticipation. She would finally have her own place away from her brothers. Her own place in Konoha to be at peace. It was like her very own vacation home. She didn't have to worry about pesky hotels, or crashing awkwardly at Shikamaru's, even though she really didn't mind that situation. She would finally be on her own. Independent like she liked.

Temari glanced at her wall the she started to decorate with her forming fan collection. She had been debating about starting her collection in Suna or Konoha. Her heart was already tearing in half trying to decide where to keep things. She didn't want to strip everything from her current room and make her room feel empty, but she also wanted to feel at home in Konoha.

Temari decided to take the bare minimum. She planned to test the waters once she got there. It was only three months. It wasn't like she was moving for good. She had many trips in the future to bring things back and forth, or she could have her brothers send whatever she needed. It wasn't that big of a deal moving, right?

It would be her first time ever remotely thinking of leaving her sunny village permanently. Her home since she was born, her brothers.

She cleared her anxiety filled thoughts from running her mind. She wasn't ready to leave it all behind just yet. It was only three months of work. Maybe one day she would be to that point, but not now.

Temari stood at the gates with the Kazekage and his brown-haired assistant. She hugged her two brothers tightly, smothering them in the only affection she would ever show.

"You have been gone longer than three months before, Temari.", Gaara squeaked out, as his sister crushed his lungs in her embrace.

Temari released her youngest sibling and smiled sheepishly, "I know, I know. It's just weird having a set place in another village I can go to without you two."