07 : 𝖨 𝖫𝗈𝗏𝖾 𝖸𝗈𝗎

[🏮]

Knock. Knock.

Empress Y/N stood infront of her husband's study, hands coldly tucked underneath her thick sleeves. She didn't see Emperor Soobin come down for dinner, assuming he wasn't in the mood to eat again. Thus, she proceeded right where he wanted her to be.

She didn't know what his reason was nor why she eventually gave in.

All she wanted was a proper conversation. A confrontation about the horrifying speculation running through her mind.

She must know whether he's really been unfaithful or not.

And if this was the only way to put her heart at ease, then come what may.

"Enter."

Creek!

Emperor Soobin was sitting behind his desk, as usual. There were no parchment nor books sprawled over the surface this time. It was neat. Two cups of tea resided near the edge- a little significance of hospitality and thoughtfulness to say the least. Empress Y/N stepped in.

"I came in a minute early."

He glanced to his hourglass. "Yes. I could tell."

"What is it that you want to talk about?"

"Have a seat."

Empress Y/N situated herself on the cushion. There was a huge lump in her throat; a bunch of words she wanted to say but couldn't in order to save the situation. Emperor Soobin shifted, his dull eyes scanning the royal before him. He quickly tore his gaze away.

"I want you to know about Lady Hyunseul's position in the court."

"Ah," she bitterly nodded. "I've heard you've appointed her to be your consultant."

"Indeed, I did." He withdrew a piece of paper from his drawer. "Not only that, she will no longer attend to apprentice duties but rather will be given the rights to pitch in in every senior's discussion."

"I see."

"I need you to acknowledge that. Incase you go around accusing me for adultery one more time; like how you and your friends did earlier."

Empress Y/N stiffened. So he heard. Emperor Soobin sighed. He slid the paper towards his wife. It was a statement from the High Court, yielding Lady Hyunseul's pedestal to be lifted. She stared at it with dread.

How did they even come to this point?

How much further can he go, rubbing onto her face that Lady Hyunseul had already become his source of fondness?

"I've been having suspicions towards you." She confessed. "No, I do not intend to taint Lady Hyunseul's dignity. But you can't blame me if I ever wonder what it's like everytime you leave me for her."

Her husband remained silent. He had a palm covering his lower face. Empress Y/N couldn't tell if he was bored, annoyed, or invested.

"I needed you too, Soobin." Her voice cracked. "Morning, noon, and night, I needed you. As much as you lavish her with your undying concern, I wished that I were in her shoes just for a moment."