14 : 𝖶𝗁𝗈 𝖲𝗁𝖾 𝖱𝖾𝖺𝗅𝗅𝗒 𝖨𝗌

[❄]

The High Court hereby declares Her Majesty, Empress Choi Y/N, guilty of treason and responsible for Lady Dalja's death. From this day forward, she, the reigning Empress, shall be deprived from every royal rights and duties. So should the Emperor find a new wife or rule Jeongdu all by himself.

Execution to the dethroned Empress shall be passed to discuss.

Shame.

Shame on her.

How dare such Empress stomach to commit a gruelling crime?

Jeongdu was in rage. It was the first week of winter when the High Court announced its verdict. Now stripped off from the crown, Lady Y/N spent the rest of her days dreading in her study. She failed to fight for herself. Emperor Soobin didn't hold onto her compromise at all.

She sat near the barricaded windows, reading the letter she failed to send to her parents in her hands. Her yearn to go home came to blur. She wondered if they knew about her situation- that she was about to die soon.

Lord Dantae and Lady Maeji had already heard of the news. Oblivious of the truth, they were mystified; especially when Emperor Soobin had written a week prior that he was yet to announce his marriage to a new girl soon.

Lady Y/N lived a nightmare. Even though the servants were molded to view her as a criminal, they still tried to subtly show her that they cared. For every meal, they'd sneak in at least the best servings they could give. When winter striked, they secretly handed over thick blankets for her to use. At night, at least one or two would stop by to check on her state. The palace deeply treasured and loved the fallen Empress that they found it hard to let her go.

Knock. Knock.

The door slid open, revealing Prince Yujeong and Lady Jungyeon. They cautiously stepped in, carrying a tray of lunch meant for their friend.

"Sister," the Prince cooed. "I know it's forbidden to visit you at this hour, but I insisted on bringing you this food so we could talk to you."

"Your Grace?" Lady Jungyeon approached her. "Please, look this way."

The pair noticed two more trays on the table. Cold dinner and breakfast remained untouched, indicating that Lady Y/N hadn't had anything since last night. She has been moved to her study for a month, but it seemed as if she was doing better in the underground cellar.

Lady Y/N lazed her dark eyes on them. No emotion resided in her gaze. Her lips were stitched in a temporary shut. Her figure had gone stiff and bent. She would always be found either sitting or laying down.

"We tried, sister." Prince Yujeong made her hold an apple. "But Lady Hyunseul's influence to the court was strong. We don't know how she did it, but that's that."

"His Highness tried to settle with His Majesty," Lady Jungyeon added. "Yet, everytime he strives to converse, Lady Hyunseul would barge in to interrupt. She always has her ears around him."

Lady Y/N simply nodded.

"Please, eat the apple." Prince Yujeong urged. "Just a bite."