09 : 𝖠𝗋𝖾 𝖶𝖾 𝖲𝗎𝗋𝗉𝗋𝗂𝗌𝖾𝖽?

[🪔]

[Third Person's POV]

"I'm worried about you, Your Grace."

"I'll be alright. They've been under my eye for four months anyway. It doesn't hurt as much as before."

"But the two of them wouldn't even bother to—"

"Save it, Lady Jungyeon. I wish to care less."

"I just couldn't fathom the sight of Lady Hyunseul bragging her pregnancy to the court and use it as an excuse from her minor responsibilities."

"She is nothing but a leech to my husband and her conceiving. Honestly, I thought she was a blessing to the palace; turns out she's a pest."

Empress Y/N held her chin up as Lady Jungyeon untangled the strands of her hair. They were sitting on the garden's swing and it was past midnight. Darkness enveloped the two, protected by the dim glow of a lantern Lady Jungyeon had brought. Empress Y/N had only sneaked out of the bed, leaving her sleeping husband behind. She couldn't drift herself to slumber. Fortunately, as she paced the empty corridors, she spotted Lady Jungyeon who had just exited the pantry for a snack. Thus, their wee bonding underneath the starless sky.

"Ouch," Empress Y/N winced. "Lady Jungyeon, you pulled too hard."

"Forgive me, Your Majesty."

The rattling of the charms of the lady's detangling stick and the way she fumbled through the sovereign's hair reeked calmness through her spine. Crickets sang a loud lullaby from behind. A firefly or two hovered over a closed morning glory. Empress Y/N exhaled, pushing the heavy weight off her chest.

It had been a rough day— having to see Emperor Soobin tear his attention to her and Lady Hyunseul. Of course, she couldn't be bothered to fantasize about his actions being sincere. After all, he'd still be more concerned of his companion's wellbeing. It still pained her, but not much.

"It's as if.." she gulped. "All my hopes had drained from the moment he kissed me again."

Lady Jungyeon furrowed her brows. "Why is that?"

"I don't know. All I did was ask for us to separate and he snaps back to his old self. It's too pathetic." Empress Y/N shook her head. "Especially when Lady Hyunseul's starting to turn into an eyesore."

"You thought you could tolerate her, no?"

"I really thought I could. But she seems to enjoy my husband's compassion towards her. She likes to rub it in my face."

"That woman," Lady Jungyeon scoffed. "Thinks she could get away with everything just because the Emperor is on her side."

"Oh, we'll see."

Rustle!

Rustle!

Lady Jungyeon and Empress Y/N stared at the bushes. Prince Yujeong had emerged, leaves sticking out of his hair. The girls rolled their eyes, knowing that the lad could've just used the clear pathway instead.

"What is it with you that you constantly feel the need to have a dramatic entrance, Your Highness?" Lady Jungyeon snapped.

"Shut your mouth." Prince Yujeong sneered. "I've been in the bushes long before you came here."