Episode 21

“Tara,”   

“Hmm?” 

Tara looks up from where she had been sitting on the couch, ticking off some things on a sheet of paper, a frown marring her forehead.

Raghav gives her a small smile before sitting beside her.

“I wanted to ask you about something.” He tells her, and she hums, ticking off one last item before closing the sheet. 

“Ask away.” She says, the frown finally fading away from between her brows. Though the effect doesn’t persist for too long.

“Do you remember the time we met in that inn when Ranvi and I had you locked up?” Raghav asks guiltily and Tara nods.

“You had mentioned something about some scoundrels....  something about not treating you right. After the day you had fainted, I haven’t been able to stop thinking about it. Do you – would you like to share something about that?” Raghav asks hesitantly, unable to wipe away the worried lines between his brows.

He sees Tara smiling at him, albeit sadly.

She takes off the reading glasses before he came and rubs at her eye heaving a content sigh.

“It’s a long story you’re asking for, Raghav,” Tara warns.

“I have all the time in the world.” Especially for you, Raghav leaves it unsaid.

“Well, I guess I shouldn’t call them scoundrels considering that they were the ones who adopted me from the orphanage.” She starts and Raghav gulps not expecting this to escape the girl’s mouth.

“But?” he presses. 

“They…. they didn’t treat me like I was supposed to, Raghav, like you treat a ten-year-old kid when you pick them up from an orphanage. For years I did whatever they asked of me, whenever they did because I considered them as my new family, someone to provide me shelter when I didn’t have my parents to give me that but they…I was just a house help to them.” Tara reveals, a bitter chuckle escaping her mouth.

“I was fifteen when I discovered that I had diabetes, and because those people only gave me the food that had been left after their family of five used to get done with the dinner, I started passing out more frequently every week. At first, they worried about me, fussed around the doctors, and made me rest in bed. I remember being elated when I had first discovered the disease, it gave me a reason to be loved again. But it all vanished as quickly it had come and took away from me more than I could ever fathom. They grew tired of taking care of me. They stopped caring. I was sixteen when they kicked me out of their house.” She pauses for a moment there, letting out a long sigh. 

“After the death of my parents, I had made up my mind to torment the police like they tormented my parents, to make them taste what they had given me, loss and pain when they would be unable to catch me. But then I was sent with that family by Daya sir, who I am sure wasn’t aware of the kind of people they were, but I had been really happy. But when they kicked me out, it was with a bag full of debts on my shoulder. Not only they treated me like a house help but took loans from people in my name. They made living difficult for me. I’ve been robbing houses since then, paying off debts and avenging my parents’ death in my own way. There is still a long way to go.” Tara says, letting out a loud sigh, looking at Raghav and giving him a self-deprecating chuckle. “Pretty tragic, huh?” she asks but Raghav doesn’t answer, just looks at her with that helpless face of his. 

“I wish I could have done something for you, Tara. I can do still…I’ll pay all off the debts, just tell me the nam –”

“Aww, that’s so sweet of you, Raghav.” Tara coos, giving him a genuine smile. “But I don’t need anyone’s help. I have paid almost all the debts anyway, and quite frankly I’m living my best life right now with you guys feeding me all the time. All of you. Even that Mihir.” She says but there is no malice behind her words instead a smile graces her face.