Episode 46

Raghav roams around the town with a heavy heart even though this is the first time he is walking freely like this, without the fear of the police or the agency. And yet, he can’t permit himself to smile, not after what happened with them, with Mishti. What hurts the most is the fact of who did it.

Why did it have to be Tara? Why did she betray them?

Raghav wants to come across her just once and wants the answer to that question.

He is dying to know the reason behind the betrayal, doesn’t want to live his entire life remembering Tara as a betrayer. She meant a lot to him, and somewhere, maybe… she still does. 

He comes across a bakery on his way back home, remembering how they all are planning to leave Samrat’s house and shifting to their own. And even though they have enough money to make two small houses for themselves now, they are still willing to live together just like they have until now. They are a family after all.

But that doesn’t mean that he won’t bring his sister her favourite cheesecake as a small present, both for the new house and her engagement with Mihir which they all had been anticipating for quite some time. It’s a relief that his sister is happy in her life.

With that thought in mind, he enters the bakery and comes across a sight, across the person that he had never thought he would see in his life ever again. 

Tara. 

There she stands, behind the counter, billing receipts and giving each person a privileged smile, the same smile that dies on her lips when her gaze lands on him, her entire body stilling on spot. 

Raghav rushes to her before she can overcome the shock and hide herself from him.

“I need to talk to you.” He says to her, but she looks at him dumbfounded, shaking her head. 

Raghav can see frightened tears forming in her eyes, he doesn’t want to scare her, but he needs to talk. He is sure he will never get a chance like this again. 

“Tara, I need to –”

“I – I didn’t do it because I wanted to, Raghav, I h-had no option. Believe me. Please don’t send me to the police. I am sorry!” Tara says, brows curled worryingly and tears rolling down her face. 

Raghav looks around the room to see some of the customers gazing at them curiously, but this is no entertainment. He comes to an immediate decision. 

“Come out with me, Tara. I need to talk to you. And there is no police with me. You can trust me.”

Tara doesn’t trust him; it is evident from the lack of eye contact that she persists in maintaining.

“Please.” He insists, and it is then that she reluctantly nods, removing the apron and handing it to her friend who nods in understanding.

Once they are out, away from the amused gazes, he turns to her but before he can say anything to her, she envelopes his hand in hers, her grip tight and desperate.

“I didn’t want to betray you guys or Mishti. I was forced to. His mother – Samrat’s mother…. I – I had a reason. Please believe me, Raghav. I didn’t want to do it. I’m sorry, I’m so sorry.” She brings her forehead against his hand, and he takes in a breath of courage for both of them. 

He rubs a hand at her back, and she readily slumps against his chest, crying. He nods. “I understand. We all do. We know that there must have been a reason behind all that, I know that you did. But please tell me, tell us, tell Mishti. We’ll all understand.” Raghav promises, and the girl lifts her face from his chest, looking up at him, terrified.