❥ Chapter Twelve: The Truth Untold

RONI

I woke up with a freezing cold temperature around me. The deep slumber that I had fallen to came to an end and was disrupted by the wind's howl. The same ringing in my ear made me grimace. I sat up and adjusted my vision in the dark. I'm in a secluded place and if it wasn't for the small lamp across the room, I might've woke up staring at the walls like a blind. I stretched my knees and arms but stopped when pain struck me below. My stomach aches the most and though I can't see if there's a wound on it, I felt the soft cloth to my fingertips that's bandaged around my waist. There's also one on my right leg just above my kneecap.

I checked my surroundings again, trying so hard to see in the dark. On the corner of my left eye, I saw a faint light coming from a flashlight which is exactly a meter away from me. I held my stomach while slowly crawling and extending my arm to get the flashlight. The pain intensified when I reached out but I bit my lip and continued to move. When I successfully grabbed the flashlight, I tapped it on the palm of my hand and pointed it in front of me. I noticed the white plastic curtains that surrounded me and with the empty bed on my right, I figured that I must've fell while sleeping. I held on the bed to support myself from standing up. I winced once more but continued to struggle on my feet.

"That wasn't so bad." I cheered myself up. I took a step forward and hopped on the other leg to avoid the pain on my wound. I'm like a cripple without crutches. I shoved the curtain to one side and move outside. The temperature dropped once more and a shiver ran down to my spine but I continued to walk and just before the turning point of the room I saw Matt and Prim curled up on one bed with arms on each other. I don't want to think about it but seeing the two comfortably hugging each other makes me sad and mad.

On the far corner I saw Jack with a candle lit up on his right. His eyes were close but I don't think he's sleeping. I decided to walk on his direction slowly to ask where is Art and where we are now. But I stopped on my track when I heard him sob and sniff quietly while his shoulder blades shake. I extended my arm and was about to reached out to him when he spoke.

"What did I do to deserve this?" He asked. The forlorn tone of his voice clenched my heart tightly. "I.. I may have made some bad decisions in the past but this is just too much." He whispered. He sniffed out as he continues to cry against his arms. "I don't think Roni will ever forgive me." Jack added. My hand shakes as I withdraw my arm back to myself. My forehead creased with so much confusion. What did he do to make him think I'll never forgive him?

"We lost the baby." As if he answered my unspoken question, Jack muttered a little quiet but I heard it all. My heart skipped a beat and a bile on my throat rises, making it hard to breathe. I cover my mouth with my hand and weep without making any noise. My other hand caressed my now empty stomach. There's only one thing that I can think of, the baby that I've never wanted in the first place crushed my weak heart. I am beyond guilty and regretful for what happened. The fetus wasn't even born yet it suffered due to my decisions.

I knelt down on the ground and cried. Jack was in deep thought about everything that he didn't noticed my presence or my painful cries.

"I lost Lauren too." He suddenly uttered in a more heartbreaking way. I stopped crying for a second, trying to comprehend what he just said.

I lost Lauren too. My eyes widened in disbelief as tears rain down on my face. My forehead creased again but this time a little part of me knows what this is. I struggled to stand but I pulled myself up to walk away from him. I can't stand listening to this anymore. I don't think I can.

I started to take a few steps backwards but I bumped into someone. I turned around and saw Matt with a dreadful look on his face. He's staring at Jack for a moment but then his gaze were averted to me.