❥ Chapter Twenty-Six: To go or not to go?

Roni

When the officers mentioned Jack's name, I immediately decided to visit Art's workplace at the University. I didn't mind the stares of the students around me, I was just walking straight ahead. The guard told me where the Physics Major building is. I almost run just to ask Art if what I heard is true or not.

"Isn't she the crypto zoologist from Antigen?" One girl muttered when I passed the school grounds. A group of college students were having their lunch together at open-air when the auburn haired girl stare at me.

"You mean the one who survived at the rumored scripted tragedy?" The guy muttered. I shook my head and decided not to pay attention.

I heard these rumors everywhere I go, so I decided not to go out often. Aside from visiting my psychologist weekly, I shop for groceries every Saturday after my session with the psych. I always wear a mask and a cap so no one would recognize me since what happened in Delphilia and the rest of the expedition was broadcasted nationwide and the fact that those blames were pointed directly at me. I cannot find a stable job because of that. Antigen blocked me from the science field so I didn't have much choice.

I am currently working at a convenience store near the apartment, thankfully no one recognizes me in the area. I needed to work to pay my shrink and bills, I didn't touch my savings account. I don't want to spend it not unless everything's fine. For two years, Art sent me money but I refused and returned it to him. I don't want any help, I'm fine striving on my own to survive.

My salary is enough to pay the psychologist so I am also working as online seller. I sort out all my things and decided to sell some of my stuffs, I haven't used them so might as well sell them online.

Two years seems a long time but if felt like it was only yesterday when I was at the bridge, standing with a gun, ready to shoot at the werewolf in front of me. I closed my eyes in exasperation. I shouldn't dwell on what happened on the expedition or I'll have headache attacks like always.

I took a deep breath and stopped the Physics building. I climbed on the staircase and reached the third floor where Art's office is. I halted and knocked at the black door three times. After that, I gently pushed the door knob and opened the door. The room is deserted if it weren't for Art who is busy typing on his laptop at the back row. I closed the door behind me and cleared my throat. Art raised his head and looked at me.

"Roni." He muttered when he stood up. I walked towards his desk and he immediately kissed my right cheek. I felt awkward all of a sudden.

"Take a seat." He sat down on his swivel chair and gestured for me to sit at the couch adjacent to his desk. I nodded at him before taking a seat.

"It's been so long, how are you doing?" He asked with much enthusiasm but I cannot much his energy level, I don't think I'll be cheerful enough to have a nice conversation with him.

"I'll cut to the chase." I muttered, agitated. I laced my fingers together, the act of nervousness.

Art's smile slowly turned into a thin line as he sighed. He pulled one of the drawers of his desk and grabbed his phone. I watched it closely as he turned the screen to life. He navigated in for awhile before handing me the phone. With shaking hands, I accepted it. I took a deep breath and stare at the screen.

"I was working overtime last night, checking the papers of my students when my phone vibrated. I put it on silent mode to avoid disrupting what I am doing." Art recalled what exactly happened. I'm all ears but I can seem to look away from the phone screen.