❥ Chapter Thirty-Seven: The Hybrid's true form

JACK

"I'm guessing from your reactions that Roni has said something about Luna eventually betraying you, correct?" I muttered without looking at them.

I'm busy connecting some wires on the other device I created. It's another explosive but it's a self detonate type of bomb. It'll explode once I remove the metal ring.

"You two really think alike." Matt muttered in utter amusement. I chuckled. Well, that's given.

"So, what do you want us to do?" Art finally spoke. I looked up at the two and shrugged. "Stay on guard at least while I ready the remote." I answered nonchalantly.

Honestly, they can do whatever they want to. I can't care any less. They still betrayed us and that's enough reason for me not to trust them again.

"When did you planted the bombs?" Art asked.

"When you went back. I was in the fortress, secretly planting the explosions when I heard you talking to Luna about Veronica's arrival." I said. Art looked surprised. Maybe he didn't notice I was that close to them all along. While they desperately searched for me, I was with them inside the fortress all along without their knowledge.

We then heard loud noises, muffled growls and cries. That's the signal. We must get out of here.

I pushed the button and the bombs exploded one by one making the whole ground shook.

"Let's go." I yelled before I started running towards the forest. Art and Matt followed suit.

"We must hurry." Matt muttered when he reached me. "There are guards out there." He added. My eyes widened. How did I forget about it? That's so stupid of me.

I sprinted and turned around to get there faster. I just hope Roni's fine.

When Art, Matt and I reached the cliff and saw the hanging bridge, I immediately saw Prim fighting off the werewolf. I averted my gaze and searched for Roni.

"What the hell?" Matt cursed beside me when we finally saw Roni.

She's on the bridge, battling the other guard. But it looks like their fight is coming to an end. She used her hand and stabbed the monster's chest.

"Veronica." Art whispered. We're all surprised as to what we're seeing. Roni is mercilessly killing the werewolf. And that evil grin she has on her face is quite chilling.

"This doesn't seem right." Art muttered while shaking. I can feel him getting scared at the sight of Roni. I am too. She seems like a different person.

Roni decapitated the monster's head without any difficulty. She even threw the werewolf's head and kicked the body until it fell from the bridge.

"Roni! I called.

She turned to look at us and smirked even more. Then in a blink of an eye, she reached our side. She ran too quickly, almost like being teleported. 

Roni didn't spare me a glance, all her attention is on Art. Then in just a few seconds, she pierced Art's chest with her right hand.

"What the?" Art muttered in disbelief. Matt froze and I trembled. This evil aura. This can't be.

Art knelt on the ground while coughing. Blood dripped from his mouth because of Roni's attack. Even though I am shaking, I managed to reach her and hold her arm. Roni turned to me with the same smirk plastered on her face. Her eyes were red, bloody red.

"Roni, what's happening to you?" I whispered.

She withdrew her hand from Art's chest and slapped Matt away. The latter flew across the ground while Art fell flat on his chest, panting as blood scattered on the ground.