❥ Chapter Five: Second Phase

Jack stares away from me for a few minutes, thinking and draining in the information I just shared. I'm certain that at this point he's going to hate me for the rest of his life and will probably call the expedition off the first thing in the morning.

I spilled half of the confidential information that I had sworn to take to my grave but Jack's smart. He found the folder I had hidden in my unit. I should've thought about this, that he'll eventually solved the puzzle pieces. First of his class indeed.

I bend down and grabbed the folder and other documents on the floor. I can't risked everyone seeing this.

Antigen Corpus Achilles Project: Alternative Universe (Creation) - MANA ONE

With the successful vaxine and effectiveness of the drug stimulant the company produced, the first testing directly involved me, a cryptozoologist. Someone who studies unknown animals or creatures from legends and folklore. A perfect job for me since I was on the edge of completing the highly anticipated research.

Alternative Universe. A project to prove that by science, fictional beasts can exist. Been working for half a year but I'm still lacking concrete evidences so when two months ago the vaccine was approved, the success of the phase blinded me. Mana One. Now we're unto a term we used for massive testing. I didn't agree with human try outs. I know too well that humanity will be wiped out if I agreed to that. Which I didn't tell. I lied to Jack. I said Mana One is phase one. I have to cover it. It's the only way.

"Who else knows about this?" After minutes of contemplating, Jack finally spoke. I let out a heavy sigh. If he hadn't say anything, I would be too guilty about it.

"The head. Me and my colleagues. You." I answered. Jack stares at me like looking me deeper, deciding if I am telling him the truth. He sighed before lying down on the mattress. He didn't said a word after. Until I wake up with a light nudge on the elbow.

I opened my eyes and closed it immediately, the morning sky blinded me a little. A slight touch in my forehead made me blink. Jack is standing beside my bed with a mug on his right hand. I sat up and massaged my temple a bit. Morning sickness, here we go.

"Good morning." I greeted him. He didn't answer back, instead he offered me the mug with hot chocolate. "You're late. The team started on their own an hour ago." He said, a matter of fact. I reached for my wristwatch and it says nine o'clock. We've been up till three am. No wonder I overslept.

"Where's your team?" I asked after taking a sip on the hot chocolate. It tastes a little bit bland but in order for me to catch up with the rest, I have no choice but to drink something. I'll prepare a sandwich just in case I feel hungry.

"Art and I are going to examine the cave across the river. I figure I'll run late since I've been trying to wake you up but to no avail." Jack caressed my arm and tried to check for my temperature. I'm not sick, this is just a normal over sleeping habit. "I'll wait for you outside. You should go get ready."

Jack's less enthusiastic than the usual, he must've been feeling a little angry at me still. I took a deep breath and went out of his makeshift tent. No one's outside, the place looks deserted at all. I hugged myself as I walked to my tent. Though the sun is already up, the atmosphere feels a little could. I guess I have to bring spare clothes and jacket with me.

When I finally zipped the tent and went inside, I saw the blanket well folded and the floor's clean too. That's weird. I remember it being distorted. My phone was in the table, still working. I tucked a few strands of my hair to my ear. This makes me nervous. The fact that everything's well-organized and clean. Someone must've fixed everything. Who would? Jack? He knows the truth so he probably did.