❥ Chapter Six: The Female Alpha

We turned our flashlights on when we went inside the huge cave. The sun is halfway through setting and the clock strikes at twelve o'clock. I decided to take a break when we're inside.

The cave's entrance is a long walk and judging from the pit black darkness of the inside, the beasts is sleeping deeper on the ground.

"Do you have an alcohol?" Asked Jennie, the assistant director of the biology department.

"Keep your alcohol inside your bag. The female has a strong kin of smell." I demanded. Jennie nodded at me before taking her lunch. They had packed lunches on their bag packs while I have two sandwiches. I'm not starving but to avoid passing out later, I need to have a couple of bites.

"I think you might want to see this, Roni." Minho whispered. He opened his laptop and maneuvered it. The female's specimen, pulse and chart shows on the wide screen.

"She's half awake. Usually she's up only during full moon but her condition varies among the others." He pointed out. "That's odd. Her vitals seem fine and her mutation didn't affected anything." I muttered.

The female beast showed a hundred percent genetic mutation out of the others. Her blood perfectly blends with the serum. As far as I remember, she was a remarkable asset. But what changed? It's been a few months since I lost contact with her.

"She's probably adjusting to the new environment." Archie butted in. He handed me a gun. I'm the one who's going to shot the sedative just in case we need them.

"I think we need to further run some tests on her just to make sure." Minho suggested. I nodded in agreement. The walkie-talkie on the waistband of my pants screeched so I hurriedly pressed the button to answer.

"We encountered a small village a few kilometers west of Mount Alphanium." Prim said while panting. She must've climbed the steep hill.

"Are there any villagers?" Matt asked on the other line.

"It's deserted but not quite long. Some of my people saw a pot filled with boiling water just now." She answered.

"Have you seen any tribal writings?" Art asked.

"No. We didn't." She answered immediately.

"Just took some pictures on the relics and other things in the village, we'll go check it out once we get back." Art requested.

I heard Lauren clearing her throat on the other line before she asked us if we had our lunch already. Prim said that they'll take their after a few minutes while Lauren and Matt's team were done an hour ago.

"Roni? Are you here?" Art asked.

"Yeah. I've been listening the whole time." I answered.

"Have you had lunch already? You didn't take a breakfast." Jack sounds so worried and that made me smile a little.

"I brought some food with me, don't worry." I joyfully said.

Jennie waved her right hand at me and I signaled her that I'm on the phone. The other line fell silent and if it weren't for Art and Jack, I'd probably imagine talking to myself.

"Jack and I will wrap up soon, do you need some help over there?" Matt offered. I shook my head a little.

"We're good here. Thanks." I stare at my wristwatch. The preparation's finally done and we can now proceed with step one.