❥ Chapter Two: The Silver Amulet

I woke up at dawn as the air-conditioned room's coldness wake me up. I groaned and pulled the comforter up to my shoulder. I was about to stood up to turned the air-conditioner off, when an arm snaked on my waist. With a smile on my face, I turned around and kiss him on the lips.

"Good morning." I whispered. Jack groaned and smiled even with eyes closed. "Good morning, baby." He huskily whispered back. I kissed his forehead before getting up out of bed. I'm in my pajamas already, neat and clean compare to what I...

I looked around me and stare at each side of the wall. I sashay to my kitchen and mini-bar just to make sure this is not a dream. That means the full moon and unreal attacks last night really happened. I held on the bar for support as my head began to ache. This isn't easy to forget. I would always remember that.

"I'll pick you up later. Just rest for now, okay?" Jack opened the car door and immediately sat on the driver's seat. I held the robe tighter by crossing my arms on my chest. I smiled at him.

"Are you sure you're okay on your own?" He asked. I nodded and laughed a little. We've been arguing for the last thirty minutes about this. He wanted to stay but he has a work today and I don't want to be selfish.

"I'll be fine. Don't worry, I'll call you if something came up." I muttered. Jack sighed and that made me roll my eyes. He's really pushing it. I smiled at him and walked near the car. "Seriously, Jackson. I'll be fine here, alright? I need you to work, okay?" I bend down and kissed him softly on the lips. I'll miss him but I can handle it for half a day.

"Drive safely." He nodded and bid his goodbye before finally going away. I laughed and shook my head. He's being overprotective of me lately. Well, can't blame him. Especially too, what happened last night. I have to visit her one of these days.

I went back to my unit and prepared a hot Choco. I don't feel like eating breakfast yet so I'll just read the results further. I went to the bedroom and grabbed the brown envelope from my shoulder bag. This needs a solution and fast. I need that plaque of recognition and award for the trip I am planning to have on Jack's birthday. I sat at the bed and supported my back with a pillow as I rest my head to the headboard.

When I fished out the documents out of the envelope, I immediately grabbed my journal to compare results. I need a hit. A DNA pattern that matches the first breed we've done. My fellows aren't really into this project so I've been doing this on my own. The results differ in toxin dosage. One of the lab rats though seems fine and has accumulated an increase in stamina and self-healing which is a good sign. I can now proceed with injecting the formula that I've been creating for two months. But.

I glanced at the two small tubes at the side table. One contains a blood type A+ and the other is type O. It's mine and Jack's. I got our blood for samples and in order to know which blood type is compatible with the drug. However, I haven't discussed a human trial with the bosses yet and since I'm having a day off today and tomorrow, I'll have to wait till Monday.

"I should do it here then." I muttered to myself. I got up and went to the study room I have on the unit, that's where I put all my log books, research documents and some apparatus. Jack have been telling me to rest properly during my rest days since my job is stressful but I just can't lay around. Something in me wants to finish this now. ASAP.

When I opened the door to the study room, a silk wrapped gift with pink ribbon sat at my brown rectangular table. I swiftly moved and then inspected the gift.

"This seems nice. The wrappers are perfectly wrapped too." I smiled as I untied the ribbon. Since there's no card or anything written on the outside, I figure it's from Jack. After all, he loves surprises.