E X C E R P T...

RONI

I wiped the tears that escaped my eyes. "Jack was one of the leading linguists who joined Antigen's expedition." I muttered.

"Was he...?" Beth trailed off.

"Yes." I answered. "He sacrificed his life to save Art's life and mine." I elaborated.

"But the professor just mentioned his name. It means that he must be alive." Leo butts in. William nodded at him in agreement.

"Probably. That is why I am going to find him no matter what." I muttered with a little anger but I am sure that I am going to save Jack.

"You're going to that mountain but how about us?" William asked. I nodded at him.

"Don't worry, I'll get you out of here first and then cross the bridge." I answered.

I grabbed my things and turned my heel away from the mountain's direction. Leo followed my feet and he pointed the flashlight ahead of me so I could see. But with or without the flashlight, I could still clearly see the path which is weird since the blood moon's light isn't that strong on this side of the forest.

I stopped when I heard something on the right. I glanced and immediately held my ground, ready to shoot my crossbow. But thankfully it was just a beaver. The others heaved a sigh too, we were all holding our breaths, afraid that it might be another werewolf encounter.

We continued walking and we all successfully made it out of the jungle. Beth cried as she smiled at me. She's happy knowing we made it out but that doesn't guarantee anything. I grabbed the satellite phone on the pocket of my pants and handed it to her.

"You can call Jelly and she'll immediately handle your ride." I answered her unspoken question. She was confused when I gave her the phone.

"Are you sure about this?" Beth asked.

"Yes, I am." I answered swiftly. The cold wind blows and a faint howl followed. I held Beth's shaking hand and pulled her to a hug.

"Make sure you all three make it out alive." I whispered as I combed her hair slowly. I can feel her crying on my chest so I tapped her back and pulled away from the hug. I looked at the police officers. They both nodded at me, understanding what I meant with my stare.

"Hide once you hear something, hide on the big rocks but don't go inside the forest." I instructed.

"Please stay safe, Veronica." Beth muttered. I just smiled at her. I can't assure her of my safety.

I started walking towards the entrance of the forest and never looked back. I don't want to see Beth crying again because of me. So I decided to face straight on the path and took my steps towards the cliff, where the bridge is hanging from a hundred drop on the river below. My grip on the crossbow tightened when I saw the students below.

They're lying on the stones and some were drowned on the river, bodies being ripped apart and disheveled. I saw the ladder that we used last time and I hurriedly went down. I had troubled landing and hit my right foot on one of the hard rocks. I grimaced a little and lowered my weapon on the ground as I made my way below the bridge, near the massacre.

I don't know them but I recognize all their faces. I covered my mouth when nausea hit me, the view of the blood and dislocated body parts is too much for me. I immediately when to the river bank and throw up. I looked up and wiped my mouth with the back of my hand. A silhouette caught my attention when it moved out of the corner of my left eye. I stood up and turned to its direction.

The shadow came to view when it jumped from the bridge and landed a few meters away from me. I steadied my footing as the rocks starts shaking from the impact of the jump. The green eyes beast stood tall as it bears its fangs at me. His sharp claws shined when the blood moon appeared from hiding. I maintained my eye contact, not moving a single muscle. I know I have pictured an encounter like this but reality hits way more different than what I imagined.

I slowly glanced at my crossbow, a few feet from where I am standing. I imagined what would happen if I run towards my weapon and how unlikely it'll turn out to my advantage. The wolves are fast compared to my feet. The rocks may render me slower but it doesn't affect the beast's speed. I returned my gaze to the werewolf in front of me and took a deep breath before I decided to run.

As soon as I move, the werewolf started running towards my direction. I run and spot the crossbow near me so I extended my right arm and was about to hold the weapon when a painful hit made me slam on the big rock ahead of me. I coughed when my back hit the sharp rock. I coughed again and this time, blood came gushing out of my mouth. It was foolish of me to think I could outrun the monster, me, a mere human against the lightning speed of the monster.

The werewolf then held me by the arm and throws me to the river where I felt my wound at the back sting in pain more and more. The cold water enveloped my whole body, as I sank in deeper. I opened my half-closed eyes and saw the luminous moonlit night and the werewolf standing on the edge, searching the waters for my whereabouts.

An image flashed on my mind, triggering my lost memories. I can feel the same cold feeling and the same drowning moment but what's different was I was struggling to live while trying so hard to breathe, chanting the word over and over again, "baby".

I pushed my legs immediately and swam upwards, the water in my eyes stung but I have to keep my eyes open.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CHAPTER 30: RONI