Chapter 2

Illinois' POV

Azur Lane Base, the Academy

Wales lead me through the base and towards a building named the "Academy". We walked in and found a decently large room with a table surrounded by couches. I sat down on a chair whilst Wales, Enterprise, and Illustrious all sat on the couches in-front of me. 

Wales: So Illinois, we have some questions for you.

Illinois: Well go ahead and ask them.

Wales: What faction are you from?

Illinois: Oh no, what do I say?! Wait, Enterprise is from Eagle Union!  Oh, I'm from eagle Union I suppose...

Wales: You suppose?

Illinois: Well, I think I'm from a different world from yours, as I'm from 2021, and it's what? like 1941? I'll explain this more later.

Wales: Oh, alright. Now, what is your ship and class?

Illinois: I am, like I said, the 5th and final ship from the Iowa class battleships. Named after the state of 'Illinois', I'm the United States last battleship ever made. 

Wales: Interesting. What about your armaments?

Illinois: I have three turrets, with 3 guns in each of them. My mains guns are 406 mm or 16 inch/50 caliber mark 7 guns. My secondary armaments consist of ten Mark 28 twin gun mounts, five on each side, and can either fire at ships or aircraft. My anti-air is made up of twenty quad 40 mm gun mounts and forty-nine 20 mm single mounts.

Wales: Wow, so you aren't just a powerful battleship-

Illustrious: You also have great anti-air capabilities.

Illinois: Well yes, the Iowa class was made to be the best of the best. We had the biggest guns and one of the best anti-air in the United States at the time.

Wales: What about your general characteristics?

Illinois: I'm 887 feet long and 108 feet wide, I weigh 57,540 long tons at full load and 54,889 at our designed combat load. While I do weigh a lot, my top speed is 33 knots, possibly 34 if I over-load my boilers.

Wales: Wow, so even with all that weight you can still go as fast as some destroyers?

Illinois: Well yes, Iowa class battleships were based off the 'fast battleship' design. We were meant to be a bit faster than other battleships. 

Illustrious: Truly amazing.

Enterprise: So, is there anything else we need to know?

Illinois: Well, all I can think of is that my max firing range is nearly 32 km away with the main guns, and 14 km with my secondary guns. I also have two Mark 38 fire control systems.

Enterprise: So you not only can go faster than all of our battleships, but you can also shoot the farthest? Amazing.

Wales: Now that we know about you, where did you come from?

Illinois: I actually don't know, I remember watching my sisters in this dark void before a bright purple portal appeared and sucked me through it.

Illustrious: Wait a void? Why were you there?

Illinois: Well, while my sisters were turned into museums after the war, I was scrapped as America didn't see the point in having five Iowa's in their fleet, so I sat in a dark void.

Enterprise: Wait, you were scrapped?! How? Based on your specs you are very powerful.

Illinois: Before I answer that, I must remind I am from another world, as everything in this world is very...weird. Now, I was scrapped because after the war, battleships were seen as obsolete, as aircraft carriers were seen as the best option. Many ships were scrapped and a few became museums. I was one of the many unlucky souls to be scrapped, no matter how powerful I was, I was seen as useless.