Chapter 7.5

(A/N: Was originally not gonna publish this and just throw it into a one-shot book I'm making, however I'm low on time while writing chapter 8, so enjoy a bit more detailed past of Illinois.)

Pearl Harbor, 1950

4 months before Illinois' scrapping

No one's POV

Missouri: Come on girls, we got to go say hi to brother!

Iowa: Jeez sis calm down, we're coming.

Missouri: Sorry sorry, it's just that we haven't seen him since... the.. you know...

Wisconsin: Yea sis, we know. But still, don't rush.

Missouri: Fine *pouts*

???: Ah, that's my missy... *pats her head*

Missouri: Eh?! ILLINOIS STOP THAT!

Illinois: fine fine, I'll stop...

Iowa: How have you been, lil bro?

Illinois: I've been better, turret 3 is still giving me some issues.

Wisconsin: Well considering its Kentucky's turret 2, I'm sure it has some problems here and there.

Illinois: Yea, it's really just the turning of the turret, and the firing of the guns. Oh! Before I forget, I have a present for y'all.

Missouri: Present!? Where?!

Illinois: Right here *shows rusted gun barrel*

Iowa: Uh, lil bro... hate to break it to ya... but that's just a piece of scrap.

Illinois: No no, this right here is my old turret 3's gun, I found it in the water and thought that you guys should have it... to ya know... remember me...

Missouri: Remember you...?

Iowa: Well the Korean War is coming to a close so he's probably getting stationed somewhere else...

Wisconsin: Right Illinois? illy?

Illinois: ... *looks down*

???: He means he's getting mothballed... then scrapped.

Illinois: *looks up* Jersey?! How did you know?!

Iowa: WAIT YOU'RE GETTING SCRAPPED?!

Missouri: WHY?! WHY YOU ILLINOIS?!

Jersey: Because... they don't see a reason to have 5 battleships... with one of them already having an incident.

Iowa: But I'm the lead ship... I should be getting scrapped... not the youngest...

Illinois: Listen girls... I know this isn't the greatest news... but at least I'm still here.

Jersey: ....when?

Illinois: Huh? What do you mea-

Jersey: When are you getting scrapped?

Illinois: I uh, I don't know if I should sa-

Jersey: DAMN IT ILLINOIS WHEN?!

Illinois: .... November 11th...

Iowa: That's... in 4 months...

Jersey: Heh, 4 months we have left, 2 of them you'll be in Korea.

Illinois: Listen, it isn't great but- OW

Jersey: *slaps Illinois' cheek* Don't you "it isn't that bad" BROTHER YOU ARE GETTING SCRAPPED! YOU'RE THE YOUNGEST GOD DAMN IT! ONE LITTLE INCIDENT DOESN'T MEAN YOU HAVE TO GET SCRAPPED!

Illinois: *sigh* That's not the only reason I'm getting scrapped...

All 4: What?

Illinois: *sigh* ... the explosion... it affected a lot more then what you guys know...

Wisconsin: Like what?

Illinois: ... the explosion messed up my citadel, my turret 3 ammo exploded and blew a 2 foot hole right through my citadel. The explosion also blew a hole into the engine room. The explosion was so big, it threw my turret 3 out of its barbette about 5 feet before it came smashing down.

Iowa: But... they can fix that... right?

Illinois: Well, they would be able to.

Jersey: Would?

Illinois: ... when the turret came back down, it smashed into my barbette ring, and cracked the outside wall. The workers could repair everything, I even got a new stern, courtesy of our late sis Kentucky, but the turret wall could not be fixed. It would involve me going through a 2 year refit, which would cost them too much money. So, they decided that I would fight until November, then prep me for scrap.

Missouri: Couldn't they replace your barbette?

Illinois: I wish they could... for now, the patched the best they could. I got Kentucky's B Turret, but they had to modify it a bit for my ship. The reason why my turret 3 fires funky/operates weirdly is because the system the turret has does not match my current system. AKA why they would refit me.

Iowa: What about your engine room?

Illinois: It was mostly replaced. I got new boilers except 2, as they didn't have anymore. Unluckily, the 2 they didn't replace were the closest to the explosion and sadly are damaged. I have to run the 6 other boilers full steam and the 2 damaged ones on half... and that makes me barely even reach 30 knots. If it were an actual emergency, that I need to get from A to B ASAP, I could overload the 6 new boilers and run full steam on the other 2, only for a short amount of time though. This would allow me to reach at max 32 knots. To even reach 33 I would have to overload all of my boilers, and that could lead to me blowing the 2.

Iowa: oh.... I see...

Jersey: Just... just please tell us... tell me, you won't forget us when you're gone?

Illinois: I could never forget you guys... *whispers* you guys might forget me though...

Wisconsin: Well no sense in crying about it now, let's just spend some time together guys!

Missouri: Alright! Maybe we can go visit Ari first, cause... *voices fade*

???: OIS WAKE UP! ILLINOIS!!!

Illinois: *GASP* HuH!? WhaT?

???: Man, are you tough to wake up... Come on lazy butt, time to go back to Korea.

Illinois: Hold onnnnn...

???: Honey come on, we don't want Essex to yell at us again, do we?

Illinois: Please babeeeeeeeeeee I don wanna get uppppppp

???: No. Final warning... don't make me get San Diego in here...

Illinois: AH NO! FINE, Fine fine, I'm comin' Helena.

Helena: *smiles* Good honey, I'll be waiting for you on deck. *blows kiss, walks away*

Illinois: God that girl is going to be the end of me... *smiles*

Memory, ending . . .