five years later (prologue)

language; secrets

keywords: –

then

"ricky!" you call out to your boyfriend as you spot him by his locker. you don't notice the way he slightly recoils at the sound of your voice. "hey, rick, i have something to tell you."

he lets out a deep sigh, stuffing his hands into his pockets, as he turns to look at you. you frown at the hint of unease in his expression.

"i- i need to tell you something too."

you smile lightly at ricky, wrapping your arms around your stomach. you're not sure what ricky's going to tell you, but no way is it going to be as much of a shock as your news.

but you love ricky. you know he loves you too, even though neither of you haven't said it out loud yet. there's nothing to worry about.

"you first," you say.

"you sure?"

you nod.

"okay uhm," ricky swallows. "uh, nini—"

"is she okay?" you ask worriedly. you and nini weren't close, but you knew of ricky's history with her, and they were best friends.

ricky sighs, closing his eyes and nodding. "yeah. yeah, she's okay. uhm, the other day she told me she still loved me."

you frown, arms tightening around yourself.

"w- what did you say?" you stammer, unsure you wanted to hear the answer.

"i still love her," ricky admits.

your arms drop to your side. you avert your gaze from ricky, instead focusing on your shoes. you swear you can actually feel your heart cracking in your chest.

"and we want to give us another chance," he continues. "i'm so sorry, y/n. i- i never thought that- look, once we started dating i swore, after what happened with nini, that i'd never hurt you. but i love her—"

"not me," you finish for him.

tears form in the corners of your eyes, but you're not going to let him see you cry. not right now.

he sighs, shoulders slumping.

"i really cared about you," he says. "i do, but—"

"no, it's fine. i understand. you shouldn't be with someone who doesn't make you happy."

"but you did. you do. just—"

"not as happy as nini makes you," you swallow hard. "look ricky, i—"

"what was your news?" he blurts. you look up at him, furrowing your brows. "you said you had something to tell me too."

"i did?" you'd nearly forgotten. your eyes widen as you remember, "i did!"

but you couldn't tell him now.

"i'm leaving," you exclaim. "i'm moving to mapleton to live with my aunts."

that's a lie.

"have a nice life, ricky." you mean it. he may have just broken your heart, but you really do love him and you want him to be happy.

he frowns, opening his mouth to say something. you smile wryly at him.

"bye." you accidentally bump his shoulder as you move to walk away, mumbling sorry under your breath.

somehow, you moving to mapleton has to become a reality because there's no way ricky can find out now.

                                                     ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* *:・゚✧*:・゚✧