don't trust me (2)

you twirl around in front of your closet mirror, admiring your look for tonight. you had done a (simple/full) face of makeup, and had managed to style your hair exactly the way you'd planned. your dress was a beautiful f/c that fit you wonderfully, and your shoes perfectly tied the whole look together.

and you were going with ricky bowen.

could tonight be any better?

"i still can't believe you're going with ricky bowen." red's voice comes from your phone, resting on top of your dresser. you frown at your screen, and red frowns back.

okay, scratch that. it could be better if red accepted that you were going with ricky, but he'd made it very clear these last couple of weeks that he wasn't happy and he would never accept it.

"what do you two even do in his car?" red asks, adjusting his tie.

since asking you to homecoming, you and ricky had hung out after school a few times. always in his car, talking for maybe an hour, before he drove you home. red hated hearing about it, so you were surprised he'd asked.

"we just talk," you shrug.

"'just talk'?" red says incredulously. "ricky bowen does the just talking?"

"yes, he does." you say, sticking your tongue out.

"what do you guys talk about?"

"why are you asking?" you snap.

the doorbell rings and you nearly scream, suddenly very nervous for the night. your mom calls up to you, informing you that your date has arrived.

"i have to go. see you soon." you say, picking up your phone.

"bye." red hums, and you hang up, shoving your phone in your clutch.

you give yourself one last glance in the mirror, before shutting off the lights in your room and heading downstairs to the main room.

when he looks up to see you, he swears his heart stops for a second. you look absolutely breathtaking.

he stands in the entryway. he's wearing a black suit, with a white undershirt, and a f/c tie.

"you look amazing." you both say, causing the two of you to laugh.

your mom claps her hands, trying to contain her giddiness. you look over at her, silently asking her to leave the room.

"oh honey, no." she coos, wrapping her arms around you and pulling you into a short hug. "i need to take some pictures for your dad."

"mom." she gives you her no-nonsense mom look, and you sigh, turning to ricky. "are you okay with a few photos?"

"yeah, for sure!" ricky nods. "but first."

he produces a small, plastic box from behind his back. he opens the box, pulling out the corsage. gently, he grabs your left wrist and attaches the corsage. it's only for about two seconds after that he holds your wrist in his hands, but it feels like so much more.

ricky coughs, wrapping an arm around your waist and turning to face your mom, who already has her phone out and ready. you place a hand on his chest, smiling for your mom who snaps the photo.

"i wish your dad was here right now," she frowns as she peruses the photo. "sucks he has to work so late tonight. one more, please, baby?"

you let out a small groan.

"i don't mind," ricky says.

when she has the photo, your mom sets her phone down on the entryway table, wrapping you in another hug. she gives you a kiss on the cheek before pulling away.