five years later (v)

language

keywords
h/c: hair color
e/c: eye color

for having just met his grandpa mike, finn was having the time of his life with him. then again, finn got used to ricky pretty quick so you really shouldn't be that surprised.

ricky is taking you out tonight, but you need someone to watch finn. at first, you were going to ask your mom to watch him but then ricky mentioned his dad had yet to meet finn.

"he's been asking when he's going to meet him," ricky said. "so why don't we have him watch the little guy?"

you did miss mike.

"sure!" you agreed.

so now here you are, handing mike a schedule for the night while ricky's still getting ready. you'd just thrown on your nicest outfit and washed your hair, doing some light makeup.

"this kid will eat a mountain of spaghetti if you let him," you tell mike, lowering your voice when you say "spaghetti." "don't. ricky and i are trying to get him to eat more foods, which is something i've sucked at for the last four and a half years. so if he asks for it, say no, and make something else."

mike nods in understanding.

"also, if he asks to watch a harry potter movie, they're downloaded on the ipad and he can get into that by himself. uhm, what else? oh yeah, if he's watching the movie and it's his bedtime, he should pause it and get ready. if he doesn't, put up the ipad. he shouldn't throw a fit, but if he does, call me or ricky."

unbeknownst to you, ricky is now standing behind you. you think mike is smiling at you, but he's smiling over your shoulder at his son.

ricky places a hand on your waist, turning you around. he gives you a quick kiss, leaving you in momentary shock.

"you ready to go?" he asks.

you bite your lip as you check him out, in awe of how effortlessly it seems he can pull himself together. he's wearing a white button up, with a black tie, black slacks, and black dress shoes.

"oh, that's my man." you swear you say to yourself, but the smirk on ricky's face and the chuckle from mike make you aware you said it out loud. you turn around, opening your arms for finn, who gladly runs up to give you a hug. "be good for grandpa mike."

"mike," finn says. "like michael."

"yeah." you nod, smiling.

you'd given him the middle name michael in honor of ricky's dad, who'd been like a father to you from the moment ricky first brought you to his home.

when you pull away, ricky leans down to give finn a hug.

"i love you, daddy." finn whispers into ricky's ear, giving him a kiss on the cheek. ricky's heart soars. "i'll be good, i promise."

ricky stands up, giving his dad a one-armed hug before taking your hand and leading you out to the car. he opens the passenger door for you. before climbing into the passenger's seat, you step on your tip toes, holding his shoulders for support, to give him a quick kiss.

"i love you, ricky." you say with a dopey smile, climbing into the car.

"mm. i love you. but i'm still not telling you where we're going."

"damn it!" you playfully mutter. he'd planned this date a little over a week ago and refused to tell you where he was taking you.

ricky shuts the door and walks around the car, climbing into the driver's seat. he turns on the ignition, pulling out of the driveway.