five years later (x)

language; pregnancy / childbirth; mentions of assault; jealousy

keywords
y/m/n: your mom's name

you wake up, a smile on your face as you hear ricky talking, assuming he's speaking to lucie.

but then, "i can't!" he says through gritted teeth. "what don't you understand? i- i'm engaged and i have a kid, and another on the way."

you frown, your heart stuttering in your chest. you turn around as best you can, trying to make it seem like you're still asleep.

you crack your eyes open a bit, looking up at ricky. his face is a mask of annoyance, the hand not holding his phone carding through his curls.

then his face drops.

"what?" he gasps. "o- okay. i'll be right there."

he hangs up, throwing the covers off himself and throwing his feet over the bed. you reach out to grab his wrist.

"baby, who was that?" you ask, though you already know. "what's going on?"

"it was nini," he says. "she was uhm, attacked and is at the hospital right now. i'm going to see her."

"attacked?" you sit up in bed, wrapping your arms around your bump.

he nods.

"yeah, she was- at a bridal party and some sleazebag attacked her. i—" he turns to look at you. he swallows nervously. "can i go see her?"

you want to be selfish and say no. you felt bad for nini, but you didn't trust her to be alone with your boyfriend. she already took him from you once.

despite that, you nod curtly.

ricky grabs your face, pulling you in for a kiss.

"i love you," he says. "i'll be back soon, okay?"

he gives you one more kiss, then leans down to kiss your bump. you smile at the action.

ricky throws on his discarded shirt from last night and pulls on a pair of jeans, slipping into his shoes before heading out.

once he gets to the hospital, he sprints into the lobby, up to the check in desk.

"hi, good morning. uhm, nini salazar-roberts called me. my name is ricky bowen."

"only family allowed right now."

"i'm her friend," he says. "she asked for me, specifically. she said she'd tell you guys."

the receptionist logs in to the computer, looking through nini's info.

"your name again?"

"ricky bowen."

"okay. she's in room 208," the receptionist says. "just keep going down the left hall until you see it."

"thanks."

he walks down the hall, quickly finding room 208. he opens the door to find nini sitting on the bed, her knees pulled up to her chest and face buried in her knees.

"nini."

she removes her face from her knees, looking up at him. "ricky!" she breathes, climbing off the bed to greet him with a tight hug.

he barely hugs her back. he's only here to check on her.

"what happened?" he asks as she pulls away.

"well, they did a kit and a detective already came to talk to me but i just needed a friend." nini says, wrapping her arms around ricky's neck.

ricky nods.