don't trust me (7)

hey, i'll see you soon :)

you open the text from ricky with a smile on your face, but the message catches you off guard.

           not that i don't enjoy seeing your face, but what do you mean?? we didn't have any plans for today

            dinner w your parents??

oh fuck, you'd forgotten about that.

             yeah! see you soon💕

needless to say, you were nervous. ricky had only met your mom, briefly, when she'd stopped you two to take a few pictures before you left for homecoming.

she'd liked him. she had told you that the moment she saw you again ("he seems like a good guy.")

you can't believe you forgot. your dad was downstairs prepping dinner right now and your mom had been fretting about the house not being "clean enough" and you forgot.

you set your phone face down at the foot of your bed before heading over to your closet to find something to wear. you so badly just want to throw on a tank and pajama bottoms, but your mom would have a cow if you did that (even though it was your boyfriend who was to be the guest).

eventually you settle on a simple top and a pair of joggers, and then head downstairs to finish helping out your parents.

"babe," your dad says as you enter the main room. "do you think ricky would be okay with the asparagus?"

"yeah, i think so," you answer. "i mean, he's never been picky."

you head into the living room to help your mom.

thirty minutes later, the doorbell rings.

"i'll get it!" you announce, rushing to the door.

ricky is standing on your porch, wearing a red and navy blue dress shirt (it suits him nicely) tucked into a pair of jeans. he's holding a bouquet of flowers—tiger lilies, sunflowers, pink roses, and lilacs are some of the flowers you catch in the arrangement.

you reach for the flowers, thanking him, but he pulls them away from you.

"these are for your mom." he laughs, leaning in to give you a kiss.

you place a hand on his chest, reluctantly pulling away from him.

"i like kissing you," you say, giving him a quick peck. "but my dad is in the kitchen, you're going to have to chill."

ricky fake groans, rolling his eyes.

"you look handsome," you admire the young man in front of you.

his eyes trail down your body, brow quirking in interest as he examines your choice of wear.

"and you look—"

"i live here," you interrupt him with a laugh. "i can dress however i want."

"i was going to say 'cute.'"

"oh. well, thank you."

"can i come in?" ricky asks.

"yeah, of course!" you blink, stepping to the side. "wait," you pull him down for another kiss. "one more."

ricky steps inside your house and you shut the door behind him. you lead him into the kitchen where your mom is currently conversing with your dad, something about the chicken.