Chapter 41 - Moira Queen

Moira heard the Team approaching the dining room before she ever saw them. They were laughing and joking as they slowly made their way down the stairs and she was thankful that they had found a way to enjoy a lighter moment, despite everything that had happened. As the Team entered the dining room Moira could see that Oliver was still weary from his injuries as he was not moving as quickly and easily as he normally did. He also seemed to be rely on Felicity and Diggle more than she had previously seen him do.

She watched closely as Oliver sat carefully in a chair. Moira noticed that he was careful not to lean back to keep from putting unnecessary pressure on his injuries and it brought back a memory from the night before. She had seen blood stains on the back of Oliver's hoodie when he stood to go to his room and the sight had worried her. She decided that she would speak with Mr. Diggle again today and get an update on her son.

The Lances, the Queens, Walter, Roy, Diggle, and Felicity sat in an awkward silence while they ate. The fun and laughter from earlier this morning was gone for the moment and each was unsure how to say what was on their minds. It wasn't until the food was half gone that Thea started talking about a party that she had been asked to host at Verdant for a friend's birthday. It helped rid the room of the silence, however the tension was still evident.

As the group stood to leave the table and find things to keep them busy for the day, Moira saw her chance to pull Mr. Diggle aside and inquire about Oliver's health.

"Mr. Diggle." Moira asked with a smile, not wanting anyone to be concerned. "May I have a word with you please?"

"Yes ma'am." Diggle answered as he turned to join her and they walked to the den. "Is everything okay?"

"I was just wondering..." Moira started to ask.

"How Oliver is doing?" Diggle finished her sentence for her. He had had a feeling that this was what she wanted to talk about.

"Yes." Moira whispered. She turned away from the man in front of her and went to stand in front of the window. "I saw the blood on his hoodie last night and it worries me." She finally continued after a moment of silence.

"Oliver's strong." Diggle said quietly as he walked towards her. "He'll pull through this."

"How?" Moira asked, tears in her eyes. "How are you so confident?"

"Because he knows I have too many people to help me not to pull through." Oliver said from across the room.

Moira spun around in surprise. She had not expected Oliver to be there and it had startled her.

"I heard you two talking and thought I should come talk to you myself." Oliver provided in explanation.

"How did you even know we were talking about you?" Moira asked her son. He had been in the other room with everyone else and the group wasn't exactly being quiet as they discussed the day's plans.

"My hearing improved while I was on the Island." Oliver commented quietly as he walked over to stand next to his mother. He noticed as Diggle quietly walked out, allowing them the privacy that would be needed for this conversation. "Mom, I'm going to be fine!"

"A mother can't help but worry for her children." Moira said as she looked at her son. Realizing that he was still short on strength she gently pulled him over to the couch and sat down. She couldn't help the sadness as he stifled a groan as he sat down next to her. "I spent my whole life doing what I could to protect both you and Thea, yet here we are, again."

Oliver reached out and took his mom's hand, hoping that the gesture would comfort her. He allowed the silence to stretch on, knowing that she would continue when she was ready.