Chapter 14

It had been a solid month since Hannah had disappeared. I had been a nervous wreck. I was determined to figure out what happened to her. I saw Derek at school and whenever I looked at him he would look away. I became very suspicious of him. One day, out of nowhere, he texted me. I'm checked the message and it said, "Meet me after school, come alone." Panic started to rise a little in my chest. I saw Corey at lunch and told him about it. "I'm going with you," he said. "Corey you can't. What if he can tell me about Hannah's disappearance?" He looked at me and said softly, "Winnie, I know you care about Hannah, but I care about you. Derek has hurt you and I will not let him do that again." He gently kissed me on the forehead and gave me a tight hug and didn't let go. I hugged him back, letting his warmth take over me. I whispered in his ear and said, "I will be fine."

Corey wouldn't let me go alone so we made a deal. I would ride in his car but he would drop me off a few blocks away to make it look like I walked by myself, alone. He would be super close, blending in with some other cars if I needed anything. I walked around the block and there he was. Derek was sitting at a table outside the frozen yogurt place. He had sun glasses on. I sat down. "Okay, what's going on?" He took his glasses off. His eyes were bloodshot and tired and he had bags under his eyes from lack of sleep. "Listen Winnie I would never do anything terrible to Hannah. I know what I have done before. I have hurt you before and I will admit it but I would never do anything bad to anyone." I leaned back in the seat. For some reason I felt like he was telling the truth. "Alright so if you aren't responsible for all this then who do you think is?" He cleared his throat and his voice got low and he said , "I don't know."

Corey leaned over and opened the car door for me. "So, what did he say?" I said, "All he did was tell me that he had nothing to do with it. Oh and he also said he has no idea who is behind it." We pulled into Corey's drive way and stopped. He asked, "Do you believe him?" I looked down at my short, orange chipped nails and said, "Yeah, I do. It just frustrates me. I mean, if he didn't do it, who the hell did?"

Later on we were sitting in Corey's room. An idea suddenly popped into my mind. "Can I use your computer Corey?" He looked up from one of his comics he was reading and said, "Yeah sure, I don't care." I went over to his computer. I went to Hannah's Facebook and looked through all her friends. I had researching for about 5 minutes when I suddenly smelled popcorn. Corey came into his room with a big bowl of popcorn. "Want some?" I smiled. "What kind of question is that?! Of course I want some!" He laughed and said, "Wait, I have an idea! Stand right there and I will throw you some." I laughed and said, "Okay!" I stood there and waited. Corey threw the first piece and I missed but I caught the second piece! We both started laughing and then by the time we were done popcorn was all over Corey's floor. I stood there a stared at the mess we created. "Your mom is going to be pissed!" He shrugged and said, "Oh well, I will clean it later." I grinned and rolled my eyes. "No you won't. " I got up and went back to his computer and he said, "Probably not." I laughed. His room was never clean! He came over to his computer and sat beside me. "Have you found anything?" I scrolled through all her friends. "I found some of her friends who she is really close to."
"See this girl?" I pointed to a a picture of a girl with long blond hair. "Yeah, who is she?" I said, "Her name is Stacey. Stacey Cox. She is best friends Hannah. They are in tons of pictures together. See?" I pointed to another picture of Stacy and Hannah at a party together. "Maybe Stacey knows something."

I looked over at Corey. "Yep, you know what that means?" Corey gave me a look. "We are going to pay Stacey a little visit and see what she knows."

I hope you liked this chapter! 😘😘😘
Look forward to more coming soon!

P.s. Just a little disclaimer, this is not set up in the 80's. This story has more of a modern twist to it.. I hope this does not offend anyone. If it does I'm sorry, but please don't leave any negative comments! Thanks, Kev 😘😘