Chapter 3: An Adrienette Project

Adrien looked at his father's eyes, what were supposed to show emotions pooling of suspicion and interest, were dark and empty. What was he supposed to say? What fool-proof lie? The Bracelet had changed its usual form because Shadow-Moth had seen it, but it isn't as subtle as a ring. Besides, he hadn't even told his father about the ring yet, and he had asked.

"It's my present to Adrien!"

His head shot towards the owner of the voice, who he didn't have to think twice of being Marinette. His father merely shifted his gaze.

"Present? And for what?"
"His help! I was falling behind on a subject and he really helped me."

Marinette sheepishly smiled, slowly rotating her foot in anticipation.

"Very well. Adrien, I expect you and Ms. Dupain-Cheng are done with the project before 9."

"Of course, father."

Both Gabriel and Nathalie had now retreated, as the teenagers finally relaxed, walking into Adrien's room.

He closed the door to his room, when he flushed bright red, realizing his Ladybug themed blanket was still on his bed. Were his figurines in sight too!?

He turned to see Marinette, who's mouth was slightly hanging with big eyes.

"Aha, so you've seen my pristine Ladybug collection. Can't hide my secret no more..."

He saw Marinette snap out of whatever trance she was as she turned to him. "Yeah, I'm more of a Chat Noir fan. I mean I like Ladybug not that I hate her, she's perfect as always, but y'know I like Chat Noir's puns better. Don't tell him I said that."

"How do you know about his puns?"

"Adrien," She said in a warning tone, "Curiosity killed the cat."

"But Marinette, satisfaction brought it back."

"Oh no, not you too! May you and Chat never meet! The puns would kill me. You still cannot tell him I said I liked his puns."

"Of course not, Marichat! Yes, that nickname should suit the opinion of you."

"Oh? Then you're Ladrien? If you tell him about me being a fan, I'll tell ladybug you have a blanker of her theme."

"Deal!"

Adrien blushed, "Well, we better get on with the project!"

Mid-way through their research, Adrien remembered of what he owed Marinette.

"Hey Marinette?"

"Hm?"

She still wasn't listening completely, her hands going off on his keyboard like a rollercoaster.

"Marinette!"

She paused and looked at him, "Yeah?"

"Thank you.''

"For?"

"Saving me back then, the bracelet and all..."

"No problem, who was it from by the way."

"Someone special."

He saw Marinette smile like the brightest stars in the night. She returned to her typing as he cut and paste together the construction paper.

"I'm done with the typing; I'll wait until you're done with the layout."

She spoke as he paused his current occupation, getting free from the sticky glue that had somehow turned his hands into paper.

It was quite silent afterwards, he could see from the corner of his eye, her head was on his desk. She was probably watching him work. He felt really special that Marinette had trusted him to the practical design. She was the designer, he was the...the. What was he?

Is this what they call an existential crisis? He thought.

He heard soft breathing and turned around. Marinette had fallen asleep on his desk.