Chapter 16: Family

Adrien called her parents everything, asking if he could take her to the Agreste mansion...for a 'project' to which they allowed.

Adrien felt as if the ground had been swept off his feet. He just lost everything, and yet nothing at all. She was alive, that should be enough but he was selfish. For once he wanted something in his life, and he couldn't get it. Not with all the money in the world. He never asked for anything, all he wanted was friendship and love, and he went through without it. But he wanted to be selfish, he wanted it all now.

"Father I'm home."

His voice cracked. Gabriel took strides happily, "Why do you look so down my boy? She's back! The love of your life!"

"She...she."

"She gave up the guardian box."

Gabriel stood stumped, eyes squinting before understanding, "She lost them?"

Adrien didn't get a chance to reply, before Marinette asked,
"Who are you?"

"I'm Gabriel Agreste, Adrien's father, pleased to meet you."

It slightly bit at Gabriel as well, if he knew well she looked up at him for inspiration and fashion. Little did she know he was her enemy.

"Father isn't there any way?"

Adrien croaked out. Gabriel would've said no and hidden what he knew, but seeing his son so...faltered...so broken, he couldn't.

"There is one way, but it's quite risky Adrien. One of you could lose each other altogether."

"I don't care! I want her back!" He cried.

Marinette was puzzled, standing there she thought if they meant her. Who was Adrien? She felt her heart say, trust him. So she did, and didn't ask a single question. They spoke of Guardian and her, and a lot of confusing things, but she couldn't recall a single thing. It was as if she was born with the abilities of a teenager.

"She must combine all Miraculouses, including the Chat and Ladybug."

"How will that help? Won't it cause the wish?"
"Not if there are other miraculous involved, the power will unlock her heart's and mind's pathway which is blocked by the magic of giving away the box, her memories might not include you, but her heart surely does."
"But she doesn't love me?"
"Adrien, I'm your father, I know she does." 

Adrien didn't say anything, fake hope hurt too much as well. But Gabriel was firm, he could recognize the adoration of Adrien in her eyes, and it was unlike any other person he'd ever seen. Lila never loved Adrien, she wanted access to the world of fame. Chloe took attraction too far, they were just friends.

Adrien walked with Marinette towards the bakery, as he explained they were her parents and who she was. He explained to her how this as important if she wanted to remember him. And he tried not to sound desperate, but his heart was on the verge of collapsing, he was on the verge of losing his mind.

"Adrien."

"Yes?"
"Even if I don't remember you, even if this thing doesn't work, please know I do trust you, and I might not remember you, but I do...feel like it? If it makes sense?"
"It does."
After all, the heart remembers what the mind forgets.

 And soon the duo reached the Dupain Cheng bakery. In her room, after quite a lot of shuffling he finally found the Miraculous box, and there was a code on it. Plagg tried to go through the box, but to no avail, the Guardian's field was still pretty much present. Adrien stood perplexed, when a voice spoke in his mind, '5,6,2,7'. He pressed the bundles of thread according to order and digit, and he was in!