Chapter 11: Imposters

Aspik sat on the roof, it had been three long days. No Marinette. No Akumas.

He was growing frustrated, that he nearly lashed out at the spaghetti photographer today. Seriously, how can he imagine his mother's spaghetti if she didn't even cook? Or is alive for that matter...

He saw a blur of grey from the corner of his eye. His breath caught in his throat as he turned around. Nothing. Great, was he hallucinating now? Just then there was a painful feeling shooting up his arm as he turned around.

Multimouse. Well little Multimouse, her power was activated.

"Mar- Multimouse!"

"Is that my name? Mar Multimouse?"

"What?"

He observed her then, her face was uneasy and she looked lost as if she had no idea of who she is or was. She looked afraid...and alone.

He laid out his hand, and she immediately stepped onto it as Adrien slowly had her to his eye level.

"You're outfit is like mine, I was wondering if you knew who I was?"

Her tiny foot rolled in anticipation in his hand, a tingling tickle he found very adorable. Where was she, why was he here, why didn't she remember who she was?

All of a sudden there was a thud behind him, and in a frantic search of a place to hide he placed the tiny Multimouse in his side pocket. What's happen as she transforms back? He didn't need to think about that.

What he needed to think about was that Multimouse was in front of him, in her normal size without her power activated.

Two Multimouse? Is this a paradox or is he going insane?

One of these must be an imposter, he thought, or both of them could be. He had to play his cards very carefully, Multimouse and even his own identity and life could be on the line. This was surely a trap.

"Multimouse! Where did you disappear to? Do you know how worried I was?"

He barely kept himself from shouting, little multimouses probably had sensitive hearing so he never raised his voice, but this was normal.

"I'm sorry Aspik...its just. I thought I finally found Hawkmoth's layer, I didn't want to put you in danger and leave someone behind for Paris."

"Partners are a thing Multimouse! If you can't trust me then what use is it us being partners!"

She flinched.

"I'm sorry."

"Sorry won't cut how you made so many people worry Multimouse,  it's best we leave, today's patrol is over."

He left her then and there, the little Multimouse still in his pocket. He didn't turn, for he wasn't sure what he'd find. A hurt Marinette, or a fake Multimouse.

Returning to his mansion after dinner he requested Nathalie they drive to the Dupain-Chengs Bakery.

He reached to the same solemn place and he knew what was wrong.

"Mrs. Dupain Cheng,  has Marinette returned by chance?"

"I'm afraid no Adrien, and please call me Sabine."

Even in the darkest of times, she offered him a sweet smile which gave him the feeling of a mother once again.

He sat back in his car and angrily slammed the door. Trudging and stomping with every step, Nathalie let him alone, her own eye brows up in surprise of how much he cared for his friend. She smiled, friend. Perhaps one day he'll come to realize what she knew.