Chapter 17: Fading

Adrien and Marinette were on a picnic in the park, and Marinette was taking out the muffins. Adrien felt as if they were being watched, or perhaps the trees were slightly too tilted, too...obscene. They were munching on the muffins, as Adrien rested his hand atop hers, causing her to profusely blush.

"Adrien, I-I...I!''

"You what?"

"Nothing..."

And then she broke into a sob. "I just, I'm scared. I feel...like...I'm the worst Miraculous holder ever!"

She slapped her hands on her face, and the sea of emotions she had hidden so long in her mind dam, flooded through as she cried. Adrien took her hands away from her face, still resting them on hers.

"You were a great guardian, who risked her life just so the power of the Miraculous doesn't fall into the wrong hands, I might need some training."

He nervously scratched his head.

"And don't be scared, I'll always protect you Princess."

She turned slightly pink, "What do you think of the Muffins?"
"I think they're Purrfect."

"You did not!" She lightly hit him on his arm.
"But I did M'lady, and nothing you ever say can stop me!"

Adrien was so happy, happiest he'd ever been. He had made a discovery which made his life greater than it already was. She remembered every single moment with Adrien, AND Chat, so that meant Chat was always special to her. He even heard her say perhaps things would be different between them if Adrien wasn't here, well without the entire identity dilemma, he wondered if things would be more or less complicated then.

"Oh shoot! Adrien, I forgot the cups in the limo, can you please bring them?"

Adrien nodded, "Stay here, okay?"
"Of course, where else will I go?"

Adrien nodded, still feeling uncertain as he made his way to the limo to take out the cups. He stood by the door, thinking he felt a rumble. No, it must be his imagination right? Well, he couldn't think much before he was pushed to the ground, a large green mist covering him and his saviour.

He looked down to see it was Marinette, her breathing ragged, as he looked around their environment. The park was usually empty during these times, so no one was around. He then saw it, a Willow trees roots slowly rotating back into its original position. He realized Lila had something to do with the attack, and quickly shook Marinette.

"Marinette! Marinette!"

Marinette blinked, "Adrien?"
"Are you okay? Are you hurt? Does it pain you? Marinette answer me!"
"I'm fine Adrien! I'm okay...I think."

"What do you mean you think?"
"I'm okay, Adrien, though we should leave, we don't know when Lila will strike, it isn't safe especially since she has my Miraculous."

Adrien followed her into the limo, but he didn't ignore how monotone her voice sounded. In the limo he expected to see what he usually saw her do, panic. But she wasn't, in fact she just sat and looked at the car seat buttons, her mind far away. Her face he could usually read like an open book was blank, her eyes no longer shining, as if all the life was sucked out of them.

"Are you sure you're okay Marinette?"
"When I said I am, I am Adrien!" She snapped as Adrien winced,

"Sorry, Adrien, I just...tired, I'm tired."
Adrien nodded, offering her a sympathetic smile to which she returned, but it was empty, it seemed forced. She wasn't tired this morning, maybe the hit fatigued her. But Adrien knew deep down that wasn't true.

Reaching the mansion, he saw his mother waiting, something he'd treasure forever. She had a slight frown on her face, "Everything alright dear? You're back quite early, in fact you just left and-"

Marinette walked right past Emily, leaving her shocked. "Everything okay son? Marinette is usually more...excited."

"Lila attacked us, she took the hit but I think it tired her out, she says she's okay, but please check on her mom."

"Of course darling, you go to rest as well, I'll look after Marinette."

Adrien couldn't sleep, he couldn't rest. So after 5 minutes lying down, he threw off his covers and stood up, restless to speak to Marinette. He walked down his mansion which now had colour in it, thanks to his mother and Marinette. He saw the guest room in which Marinette was staying in, the door halfway open. She was sitting at the edge of her bed in front of the large panel windows. He ought to see inspiration coursing through her eyes, smiles and excitement bubbling up her face, or her furiously sketching. But he saw none. She sat there dull, looking down as if the world didn't exist.

"Marinette?"

She didn't move, "Marinette!"

She slowly looked at him, not a glimmer of life inside the blue windows, just a blank empty stare.

"You are?"
Adrien was appalled, his hear beating faster, "Adrien?"
"Right, Adrien Agreste."

He let out a relieved sigh, but it was short held as she turned back to the window, her dullness emitting every kind of happiness and feeling out of the room. Adrien decided he approached his father, who knew most about the Miraculous at the moment.

"Father?"

He went inside to see his parents talking, Gabriel's face hidden behind a book. 

"Father, can I speak to you?"
"Of course Adrien, you needn't ask."
"Do you...know what Lila might be doing? Marinette is acting so dull, lifeless, I'm scared for her."
Gabriel thought for a second, got up and trailed his hand through his bookshelf, taking out a medieval blue book.

"While I was in Tibet, one of the masters was kind enough to lend me this book for reform, and it has positive traits of all Miraculous, new and unknown, however the Miraculous of Creation is a counterpart to one too."

"Like mine is a counterpart to Creation?"
"Exactly, the Miraculous of Creation is a counterpart to the Miraculous of Lilies, it fades away its user and victims."
Adrien gulped, "What?"

"It's like the Miraculous of destruction, but it leaves scars permanently. The thing about the Lily Miraculous is that it mentally pains the victim, and even takes memories in return for being used."
"So what do we do?"
"Did you say she seemed dull?"

Adrien heard the urgency in his father's voice, his own voice quivering as he answered, "Yes."
"I'm afraid Adrien, she's fading. And being the holder of the Miraculous of Creation will either slow or speed the process. The Lily Miraculous uses inverse operations, you never know."

Adrien gulped, tears blinding him, blurring his vision as his mother engulfed him in a hug, "It'll be okay son, you have us, we won't let you lose her. We won't lose her."

Adrien hugged her back. Why did he always have to lose her? Why did he always go through the pain? Why did fate despise him so much?

Through the creaked door he saw Marinette wandering around the mansion, as if it was a new experience. He could barely keep himself together as he realized, she was already fading.