CHAPTER 4 - MORDRED'S NIGHTMARE.

By supper time, Guy was glad to see that his wife looked recovered from her tumble, though she was still a little pale. On her wrist could still clearly be seen the marks of Thorin's large hand, and he knew that it would bruise, but he thought to himself, "Better a bruise than a broken neck." and then chided himself silently for the thought.

    The children, as they always did, lightened the mood at the table with their presence and delighted in their new hero, who Ghislaine asserted had "once again, saved her Mama."

    Thorin smiled as he smoked his pipe and Aunt Gwyneth fussed over him, replenishing his wine goblet frequently.

    Auriel eventually took her aside and whispered, "Aunt if you expect further passion, perhaps it is foolish to so ply your man with wine."

    Aunt Gwyneth looked aghast at her words, "Dear God, what am I thinking!" she said and quickly removed the wine flagon from Thorin's reach. After that, the two women could not meet each other's gaze without sniggering, though Guy and Thorin seemed not to notice.

    As they all prepared to go up to their respective beds, Mordred came down the stairs asking Aunt Gwyneth if she could take away his nightmare, as she often had in the past with her soothing ways.

    "Tell me of it," she said gently, as the others retired and he answered, "it is the red lady, Aunt, she came to the window, with sweet meats for Ghislaine and tried to tempt her from her bed, though I held her back!"

    Aunt Gwyneth immediately called to the others to return to the kitchen, first asking Guy to ascertain that the window in the children's room was firmly closed, before sending the now quietened Mordred back to his bed.

    "What is it Aunt?" Guy said, "that you call us from our beds?"

    "There is a dark witch seeking entrance to this household looking to steal away a child," she said, "she merely lacks an invitation! Look at your wife's face if you doubt my words. This witch will not touch Mordred, for she already senses he was not born to you and she will not have seen Abigail's crib by your bed. It is the twins we must guard, as either one of them will fulfil her evil purpose."

    Guy looked at Auriel's shocked face, as she turned to run back up the stairs, following her as she entered their room to look first at Abigail and then her other children slumbering across the landing. Thorin followed close behind, as Aunt Gwyneth walked to the window and began to speak very softly as she incanted the spell.

    "Tomorrow we must hang Myrtle at all the windows to hamper her entry," she said, "I have sealed this room for now, but someone must sit here until dawn. I sense that she is unable to work her foul magic in daylight and the days become longer, so time is on our side!"

    They stood on the landing together, as Thorin appeared with his sword drawn. "She will not get past me my friend, fetch your sword and we will keep watch together, we can each take turns while the other sleeps. I will take the first two hours, Ladies to your beds, sleep may elude you, but you will rest nonetheless."

    "The little ones may be safe tonight," Aunt Gwyneth said, "for if she returns she will know we are aware of her presence. Come to the kitchen and I will tell you of it. Guy, make up the fire, 'twill be a long night."

    When they were all seated around the table, she began her tale. "Many years ago, another witch ventured with a mortal man, in search of the Artefact that Auriel sought and found not so long ago. This Red Witch failed, as the dragon still lived in Ailneth's cave, along with several of Thorin's race who also stood guard, and she was beaten back."

    Thorin nodded at her words, "I thought it a legend," he said, "I have heard it many times and it has changed in the telling, but I see the truth in it now."