New start

Since meeting Choerry, this marked our first one-on-one conversation. Despite encountering her daily, we hadn't engaged in much dialogue lately.

As we conversed on the roof, an inexplicable familiarity permeated the air, making me reflect. Of all the members, my closest connection was Gowon. Yet, when it came to Choerry, an unexplainable difference existed, defying articulation.

From our first meeting, my heart had swirled into chaos – an unprecedented occurrence. Avoiding her gaze, I found myself entranced whenever she wasn't looking, hastily averting my eyes whenever our glances met.

Initially dismissing it as oddity, I now acknowledged it as something deeper – a feeling I couldn't evade. Somehow, I had fallen in love at first sight with this girl, a colleague I had recently met.

Since childhood, a sense of incompleteness had lingered, my heart yearning for something. I used to believe that ambitions and aspirations would fill this void. Yet, now I understood it was something more, something... SPECIAL.

Accepting the truth within my heart, I resolved to take the initiative. Breathing deeply, I rose to my feet, extended my hand, and aided her in standing up. Once she regained her footing, I mustered the words I had suppressed.

"Choerry!" I called out.

Startled, she stumbled, and I swiftly reached out to assist her.

"Are you okay?" I inquired, concern evident.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to startle you," embarrassment engulfing me.

"It's okay," she reassured, standing up.

~Well, that didn't go as planned~

"This didn't unfold how I envisioned, so allow me to begin again," I declared.

Meeting my gaze, she offered a soft chuckle.

"Sure," she replied.

Again, I inhaled deeply and recommenced my reintroduction.

"Choerry," I spoke once more.

This time, her reaction lacked surprise, replaced by a gentle laugh.

"Yes," she responded.

"I realize we've crossed paths countless times, yet never truly conversed," I continued, determination in my voice.

"Thus, I'd like to seize this opportunity to reintroduce myself and genuinely get to know you."

"Here goes."

"Hi, I'm Son Hyeju, and I'm 17 years old. Nice to meet you."

Choerry burst into laughter, wiping tears from her eyes. Extending her hand toward mine, she echoed my introduction.

"Choerry," she began, "Well, Hyeju, nice to meet you too."

"Ba bump," my heartbeat quickened. Just hearing her say my name filled me with exhilaration.

We stood there, locked in a mutual gaze, when the bell sounded, signifying the end of lunch.

Walking side by side through the hallway, we eventually parted ways to our respective classrooms. Just as I entered my room, Choerry tapped my shoulder and whispered.

"I'll see you after school," she said before darting off.

As the school bell rang, I eagerly dashed out of the classroom, positioning myself by the gate to await Choerry and the rest of the members. When they all emerged, we walked home together.

During the journey, I noticed the gap between Choerry and me had narrowed, a realization that warmed my heart.