Chapter fifteen: Reunited

I walk over to my dress and slip in. Giovanni is already dressed in his suit and approaches me with long intimidating steps.

I turn around and remove my already dry hair over to my shoulder. I feel his one hand wrapping around my waist, while the other one zips very slowly, my dress up.

"I thought we are done playing games?". I tease him with a cold voice. I hear him finishing and stepping back.

"We are". He statements.

I check myself in the mirror. The red fabric hugs my curves in the right places and brings out a very boss lady vibe. Since my sister has selected this one perfectly covering my freshly scars, I feel extra ordinary.

Nobody needs to know about the accident. It's not all about the scars that are now printed on my body, but the prove that I failed.

I never, fail on anything.

"You're ready?". He asks and tightens his tie around his neck.

I don't care to answer and walk pass him. I need to bring this event as quickly as possible, behind us.

Afterwards, I bet my father wants to punish me for my missteps. I suck in a breath, as I open the front door and the cold wind hits me right in my face, through the thin fabric of my dress and brushes past the memory that will be left behind.

I clench my jaw, to forget the tingle, plus painful feeling, that spreads over my cleavage up to my neck.

I don't see any drives around the house. "You're driving?". I raise an eyebrow at Giovanni, as he steps out of the mansion and lets his gaze flow over the cars and trees, in front of us.

He doesn't answer right away, which make me watch him suspiciously.

"Giovanni?". I remind him and observe every move.

"Might as well do some business later". He clarifies and opens the car.

***

Let me introduce you into my eventful life. I never really enjoyed going out and meet new people, because the way up there is nerve racking enough.

Giovanni drives up to the red carpet and the millions of paparazzi's at the entrance. I roll my eyes at them, check my make up in the mirror and practice one last time my fake smile.

I notice Giovanni staring into the crowd behind me. "What is up with you today?". I ask and cover myself from the lighting.

"I just hate this". He murmurs and grips the wheel tight. "Who doesn't?". I mock and throw my hair behind my shoulders.

"Get it together already! This event is all about the allies and obviously the business". I hate this word, probably as much as he does. But there wouldn't be a world out there, without business.

I'm sure tho, we would've been better people without any business to make. But it's about to grow and target, accomplish and gain.

Let's get the show started.

Giovanni opens the door for me and I swing my hips elegant out of the vehicle. I hear people calling my name and asking for a picture.

Father has already spread the rumors about the marriage around, so that this would've been not that unexpected and shocking. Giovanni's smile doesn't reach his eyes, as he offers me his arm.

I entangle us together and we walk along the flashes.

I hold my features straight and wait until we surely made it, just then I let my facade drop and also his arm.

I'm disgusted by the touch somehow, maybe it's because of all the things that went down.
I don't want to get him too close to my scars.

Lies!

I don't want him to get too close to my heart, if it's for the fear of breaking or dying, you decide.

We don't talk, but I assume, there isn't much to talk about. We just need to interact tonight with some of the other mafias and represent our names.

For the love of myself, I still gonna introduce myself as a Matisse.

I don't want them to think my name would change anything about my reputation.

"Caroline". A female voice appears and I jerk my head into the direction. My lips curl up in a devilish smile, a kind of where people would run away, but not her.

She would never.

Because she's as fearful as me.

I know that every eye pair, including Giovanni's, is staring at us. Two dangerous women reunited.

It feels like everyone is holding in, even their blood stops circling. I twitch my lips into a wonderful symphony: "Briar Arroyo y López".