Chapter fifty-one: Cake

Giovanni's POV:

I grab her waist close to me and watch every step she does. The ballroom is filled with people out of different mafia's, including her family. Her big brown eyes search up the room and I see her locking eyes with Eden. I clench my jaw and pierce my fingers into her hip. Possessively, I position myself between them two and flash her a cocky smile.

"Caroline". I growl and her sad expression does something bad in my stomach. I hate do to it right now but how else should I keep her under my command?
"What?". She barks back and her nostrils flatter open angrily. "Remind yourself, I am the husband you cheated on with your ex lover, who's attending this event too. You won't ever see him or talk to him ever again, are we clear?". As soon as I mentioned the word cheating, her lips are pressed together, a habit she resumes to do.

"I didn't plan to talk to him today". She says. I nod and grab her body against mine. "Good than you've finally understood what it means to be the wife of the Italian mafia king". Her yes widen. "You father finally gave his spot up for you?".

"That's the event for it".

"That does mean...that...you know, but why did-". I know what she's asking me indirectly.

"We discuss further actions afterwards!". His tongue runs along her cheek on the inside. I feel her energy change into something vulnerable and frightening. I want to tell her so bad that I love her and it doesn't matter if she's infertility or not, if we ever have kids or not, these things don't have an impact on me, as long as she is mine my world is turning.

We stroke over the red carpet and get greeted from several people. Father sits at the head of the table and that's or next destination we're about to pass. I put my hand on her lower back and guard her with my body. "Stop thinking about it Caroline, I need your old you back!". I whisper into her ear from behind and pull out the chair for her. She changes her appearance to something powerful and I would give in any second if she wouldn't have turned to my father already.

I clear my throat and face my father too.

"Giovanni, Caroline". He nods and places his palms on the table.

"What a surprise to see you here, Caroline". Her brows furrowed together and she tills her head. "What do you mean by that?". He shrugs and grins at me. We both know that he's about to drop the bomb, the bomb that everyone talks about. "Do you think no one would notice that you've cheated on your husband, my son. Everyone is surprised to see you here actually, we all thought Giovanni already slaughtered you".

Life is draining out of her in the exact moment. She gives me a side glance and some of the guests are discussing her reaction loudly. After she almost gathered herself together, Eden drops by.

I feel her hand stiffen and her attitude rises. "What are you doing here Eden?". She spits out and I flex my jaw because she has just ruled against my rule. I lean back in my seat and focus on her face. A part of me is satisfied that I cannot see even a glimpse of love for Eden, but either way, another part of me just thinks that she's a very good actor. Without a doubt, Caroline regrets the cheating night, I hope she'll regret it until she's buried in the ground.

Eden stays neutral. "Here to say happy birthday".

"Oh yeah, I'm sure you're enjoying every little pathetic second of this...". She circles aggressively her hands around. "This shit!". I can see that father at least enjoys the show that's on display for him.

"Well whatever, happy birthday Caroline. Maybe you grow up and think twice about your actions, now that you are in your twenties". She tries so hard not to let her jaw drop.

20, I remember myself.

She just got twenty and has been through so much in her life † that she could be already 35. I lazily drop my arm around her chair and place my palm firmly on her shoulder. I do it because I still want her to know that I am here for her even if she feels I am further away than ever.

"Father don't you think it's time to cut the cake?".

"You're brought a cake in all of this?". Caroline swirls her head to me. I just nod and avoid any eye contact, it's the least thing I can do to punish her right now. 

Father twists his lips into a small grin and claps his hands two times together. In a second all guests have taken their seats and stare excitedly to my father.

He raises his champagne glass in the air and stands up.

"I am sure I don't have to make any further introductions to myself and the purpose of this meeting". Some people make the forcefully act to laugh politely and some just listen.

"My son here and his beautiful wife Caroline, have an announcement to make, for that, please stand up". Chairs get slide on the marble and now everyone faces me and Caroline. Caroline puts on her smile and looks at me through patted eyelashes. Her voice snitches through gritted teeth. "Amore, would you...". She symbolizes me to take the lead.

How typical of her, when she's too scared to open her mouth in order to get punished, she leans on me. I build myself up and face the audience. "Welcome everyone. This meeting is not only the event where my father will give me the responsibility of the Italian mafia, but also it's my wife's twenties birthday". The crowd interrupts in some birthday wishes and claps.

"For that...for that we will have a cake in the name of my father, who willingly agreed to add this accession today in too, so here it is. Happy Birthday mi amore". I say and kiss her cheek. The doors get pushed open and a massive cake gets rolled in. But nobody dared to say anything more and I freeze in an instant.

Caroline looks horrified to the cake and has her mouth shut with her hand. I feel it like we're connected through a band because I know that she's about to crash down. There is so much power in her but the power gets eaten away by one word which is draped over the cake fondant.

*
Fun fact can we like reflect back that Caroline's birthday was legit yesterday and my lazy ass didn't noticed that, because then I would've uploaded this chapter in honor of her yesterday already??? I am sooo mad at myself for that but either way let me know what do y'all think about this whole thing crashing down?

I know that I should put more spice/smut/love into this but I am ngl I am kinda struggling rn to make it work with the story line.
Just don't get tired of me because I still need to reveal some plot twists that have been secretly put into this story, which y'all maybe have already forgotten, but not your gurl hahaha<3