Ch. 1 It's only the beginning |Alli|

Alli, 10:20 am 6/1/2024

Friday

"Alright, alright everyone! Settle down." Mr. Shirman said as he was trying to get the class under control after announcing that we would be going on a trip to the woods for a whole five days.

Saying everyone was thrilled to go would be a bit dramatic. No one seemed to be looking forward to this even though it meant that we wouldn't have to learn in our last week of school.

Once the class settled down a bit he spoke again, "We will be leaving on Monday of next week. Now, it is a required field trip so don't go about thinking you get to just skip next week and start your summer early. This is a part of your grade just as everything else you do in this class is." He waited until the groans and arguing stopped before he spoke again. "I will hear no complaining next week. Now, I have a list here for things you might want to consider packing if you want a good experience." While he passed out the list he added, "Any questions?"

Charli -the super annoying cheat- raised her hand and asked, "Where exactly are we going? And how far is it from here?"

Mr. Shirman finished passing out the sheets and thought for a second. "It's just barely in Robinson Woods, only takes about an hour and a half to get there. Any more questions?"

"Oh hell nah. Count me out." Shouted another classmate, Basil.

"The haunted woods? You expect us to go there...willingly?" Asked someone I didn't know.

Everyone began to protest again.

"Class, Class!" Mr. Shirman yelled. "It is not haunted, I don't know why you believe those ridiculous stories. Robinson woods is a normal place. If it wasn't, then the school board wouldn't allow this field trip." He glanced at the clock. "Now, everyone, the bell is about to ring so remember to pack and have a good weekend." He waited for the bell to ring before adding, "And it's a part of your grade so...show up!"

I gathered all my things and left for the door when someone came up by my side. I turned my head to see my friend, Kendall, who was just in my class.

"You're going to come...right?" She asked, sounding nervous.

"I don't want to but my parents will say otherwise."

We took a turn, I just got out of Ela, now I needed to get to history. I wasn't sure why she was still following me since we just passed her class.

"Is something wrong?" I asked.

She shook her head. I could see her face growing with concern.

"You don't believe those stupid stories do you?" I questioned.
    She didn't answer.

I tried my best not to look annoyed. "Okay look, my class is right here can we...talk at lunch?"

"Sure." She nodded, as if she wasn't just acting weird.

"Okay...well, bye." I waved as I made my way to my class.

I took my seat and waited for my teacher to start the lesson. I couldn't focus the whole time though. I kept thinking about how spooked Kendall looked and about the so-called haunted woods. I didn't believe in ghosts. How could someone die and come back as a ghost? It makes no sense. My dad always watched those haunted house stories, I'd watch maybe one or two but couldn't help but criticize every unrealistic detail. No matter how "creepy" these haunted woods stories are, they won't change my mind on anything.