|Art|

Art, 11:10 am 6/1

Friday

    All this crap about Haunted Woods but I just want to stay home and play video games while everyone else is "having the time of their lives"' in the woods. I mean, what could be so fun or interesting about the woods? We have to sleep in a tent, in sleeping bags, the only restroom there is nature, there's no WIFI, and now all this haunted talk. All the sophomores are talking about it. They can't keep their mouths shut about catching ghosts and sightings of them. Some people are actually excited to go on this "trip." Many others (Like me) would rather stay home. I don't really care if my grade goes down because of it, but my dad would. My plan is to keep quiet about it. Maybe he hasn't heard of this new field trip.

    I watched as everyone got up with their backpacks ready to leave. I hadn't realized it was almost time for lunch. I got all my things together and headed for the door once the bell rang. I made my way to the cafeteria and went to our usual lunch table to set my things down. I found it funny that I was the first one there because usually, I'm always the last. I got in line to get my lunch. Today's menu: the usual Friday lunch, pizza with a fruit of choice (I chose an apple) and the choice of milk or water. Not enough to fill me up but I can't complain when it's free. I sat down at our table. Four backpacks lay on the benches now. Kendall's, Collins, Madis, and mine. Alli should be here by now but I guess she was running late.

    A few minutes pass before Alli does finally arrive. Out of all of us, she's the only one that makes bagged lunch. Usually Collin would make one on Fridays because of the Pizza. Maybe he forgot.

    "Hello." Alli greeted.

    "Hi. You're unusually late." I said suspiciously.

    "Yea, well my history teacher didn't hear the bell. Then five minutes later when he heard his next class banging on the door then he realized the bell rang. I swear that guy shouldn't be working at his age. We watched a movie today and the speakers were so loud I could barely understand what anyone was saying." She shook her head as if she felt sorry for the guy. She began to pull out food from her bag. "Are you coming on Monday?"

    "I expect to. My dad will want me to if he hears about it. I don't want to go though. I can already hear boredom calling my name."

    Alli opened her mouth like she was about to say something but closed it. Just then, Collin came by with his lunch tray and a disgusted look on his face.

    "Of all days to forget my lunch..." He took a seat next to me while looking at his food as if he might fight it.

    "I just don't get how you couldn't like pizza. I mean that pizza I could understand but normal pizza..." Alli trailed off looking at the thin crusted bread with tasteless sauce and cheese that looked like plastic.

    "I guess I'll just starve then." He sighed.

    Alli looked like she might be considering something before she sighed then spoke, "If you hate pizza so much...then I guess I can trade with you."

    Collins' face lit up. He took Allis sandwich and pudding while Alli took his pizza and pears. He took a big bite of the sandwich. "Thanks!" He exclaimed while chewing.

    "Helloooo." Came a voice from behind.

    I turned around to see Kendall walking over and taking a seat next to Alli who seemed to have a worried expression as she watched Kendall. Behind Kendall was Madi. The last member of our little group. Madi took her seat next to Kendall and me before greeting us.

    A few minutes went by before Alli asked, "Who is all coming on Monday?"

    "I am for sure. I don't want to miss a chance to see ghosts." Madi said with a thrill.

Collin looked at Madi weirdly then turned to Alli. "Unfortunately, I don't have a choice. Since Madi's going my mom thought it would be fun. She called it 'cousin bonding time.'" He said holding up his hands to do air quotes.

    Alli ignored Collin and shot Madi an annoyed look. "Ghosts aren't real Madi. Besides, all those stories are made up anyway."

    Madi shrugged. "If that's what you believe."

    "I'm probably coming." I uttered.

    Kendall stared at her tray. "I'm not."

    "Why not?" Asked Alli.

    "I'm not taking any chances."

    "Ghosts aren't real. Those stories aren't real. Stop believing what everyone else says. Come with on Monday, think of the fun we will all have!"

    "Yea, I'm so excited to go to a forest with no wifi and see trees while also sleeping in an uncomfortable sleeping bag. Woohoo." I said sarcastically.

Alli glared at me like that would make me scared or something.

"I'll think about it." Kendall said, sounding unsure.

    The four of them started to discuss school drama and Kendall's relationship with her boyfriend. I didn't participate, I couldn't focus.

    "-rt. Art."

    I looked up to see Collin calling to me.

    "The bell rang already. Everyone is going."

    I hadn't heard the bell or noticed anyone going. I looked around and saw half the kids gone while the other half were walking out of the doors.

    "Oh..Thanks." I said, and walked away to my next class.

    That's when I remembered that that was our last normal lunch together. The next time we would be eating lunch together would be in the woods.