|Madi|

Madi, 10:30 am 6/4

Monday

This place lowered my expectations for ghost sightings. Yes, the wooded area did look a bit creepy but nothing out of the ordinary. It looked like a normal forest. It's probably for the best that it looks better than what I had imagined. If we visited my interpretation of this place, no one would make it out of here alive.

We had to walk through the woods for about 5-10 minutes until we actually reached the area we were staying at. It had a nice area for our tents and a nice big lake. Although, no one told me to bring a bathing suit so I guess I'd have to go in fully clothed.

While Kendall had her little reunion with Earl or whatever, me and the rest of the gang set out to find a good spot for our tents. Given to us from the school of course. But it seemed that everyone else had the same idea as us. We got stuck with the edge of the plains area, close to the forest and the lake. I didn't mind though. While me and Alli attempted to set up the tents, Collin and Art sat and watched.

It took about twenty minutes until we finally figured it out.

"Okay," Said Alli once Kendall showed up boyfriendless, "These tents are big so we can fit about...three people per tent.

"Me, Art, and Madi can share one." Suggested Collin.

"Alright. That's better for me and Kendall anyways." Shrugged Alli.

We all settled in before being called to the biggest tent placed in the middle. It was for the teachers of course.

"Now, as you know there are no phones allowed." Mr. Shirman announced while holding out a big basket. "Come on. You know the drill." He set the basket down and pointed at it. "Phone in the basket. Besides, there's no cell service anyways."

Everyone seemed reluctant to be giving up their phones. Most of these kids probably hadn't spent a day without them. I plopped my phone in the basket and gestured for everyone else to. There were a few groans here and there until everyone finally gave them up.

The rest of the morning was freetime. We mostly rested in our tents and talked until we were called out again. We were forced to watch a demonstration on how to light a fire for food but no one really looked like they could give a care in the world. Once they lit the fire, we all took turns roasting hotdogs. Kendall made Art's since he kept burning all his. It really wasn't that hard to make a hotdog.

There was no way to tell time here so I guessed it was about 2 pm. We all went for a swim in our actual clothes. We also played marco polo but Alli was too scared to get any deeper than her knees because of what she called 'lake snakes.' Which by the way, I don't think even exists here. We all got out a bit later only because Kendall felt a fish nibbling at her foot. I've never seen a face go so pale or heard a scream so loud.

By about 6 pm it was starting to get dark. We all decided to make s'mores in the fire that was still burning. Art and Collin kept dropping their marshmallows in the fire so I made theirs. Sometimes I wondered if they were 15 or 5.

A teacher who I didn't know started to call everyone to the fire for s'mores and stories.

"Alright," Said the teacher once everyone was here and seated. "Who wants to go first to share a story?" She said it like we were all still in elementary school but I didn't mind. Elementary was fun.

Everyone shared stories from funny to happy to anything but creepy and eerie. Until this one boy was picked.

"I'm Sunny. And I have a very creepy story." As he said it, his face somehow grew darker, making him look like a psycho. It kinda freaked me out. But I had high hopes for this story. "It's about this place actually."

I could see Kendall tense up while Alli rolled her eyes.

"You probably didn't know this but-" Began the boy, his face growing darker and darker, "-this place is actually a graveyard. The family of the Robinsons were buried here. There's a big grave for Benjamin Robinson not far from here." He pointed out his hand in a direction. "Benjamin's life was normal until one day..." He paused dramatically, "His father decided to play hide and seek with Benjamin. And so Benjamin hid. He waited for hours but his father still hadn't found him. Benjamin had thought his father had given up so he went back to his house. When he tried to open the door, it was locked. His father looked at him directly in the eyes but still didn't open the door. Now you all know Illinois is well known for their grizzlies and black bears. Little Benjamin went out to look for a place to stay because it was getting cold out. He found a nice cave and slept there. When Benjamin woke up however, a big black bear was there. Sadly, poor Benjamin couldn't get out in time." I could see Kendall, Alli, and Collins' faces drop. Art seemed unfazed. "He was mauled to death. His father came by looking for his son's body assuming he'd died already. When he found his son's body he began to dig a hole. He dug it very deep. What the father didn't know was that Little Benjamin's ghost was watching him as he buried his son. Benjamin pushed him into the hole and filled the hole with dirt. He placed a sign on the grave for himself. But ever since then, when people come by these woods, they say that they would sometimes see a little boy with deep wounds on his stomach and face and that he held a shovel, waiting to see who would make the same mistake his dad had." He smiled. "So keep your tents unlocked in case he wants to visit." His face darkened again. "Because if you don't...you'll be his next victim." Then he added, "And that wasn't his last kill either, he's killed many who dare to test him in these woods."

Kendall's face went pale again. I could see Collin's starting to whiten. Alli had seemed sad before but went back to her 'I don't believe it face.' And if Art felt on edge or sad, he didn't show it. I thought the story was cool but it did seem a bit gruesome.

"And who told you that hmm? Benjamin?" Alli laughed.

Sunny looked unfazed. He still had that dark look in his eyes. "If you don't believe me then lock your tent and see what happens."

"Okay, okay." Mr. Shirman interrupted before Alli could say anything else. "I think it would be best if we all went to our tents hmm?"

A few murmurs and awws went around before he shooed all of us up and to our tents.

As we walked back, I could hear Kendall and Alli talking.

"You're not gonna lock the tent are you?" Kendall asked, sounding nervous.

"Of course not. I don't believe the story but I don't want to take any chances...and I'm not gonna fiddle around with a locked tent door if I need to go to the bathroom."

I heard a sigh come from Kendall. She seemed to be pretty worked up with all this stuff. I mean, the story was good but not good enough to be believable.

Art, Collin, and I headed to our tent and got settled while Alli and Kendall went to theirs. I got the left side, Collin got the middle but had his head facing our feet, and Art got the right side. We said goodnight and went to bed. I couldn't help but think of that story before I dozed off.