How to Speak Inside

I woke up to the soft sound of piano keys. Pushing myself up into a sitting position, I rubbed the back of my sore neck. Sleeping on the couch that was next to Will probably wasn't the best decision, but I couldn't just leave him. Looking over at his couch, all I saw was a tangle of blankets. I got up and padded softly to the study where Will sat playing the piano. I was caught so off guard by the beautiful sound that I didn't say anything. Then he started singing. Quietly, because he thought I was still sleeping, but with such swiftness that my jaw dropped slightly. The song was slow and sweet, while the lyrics spoke lost love. It wasn't a song that I had heard and I was glad I hadn't. Not that it wasn't a good song. I enjoyed listening to fantastic songs for the first time. They let me fully feel the emotion the song exuded. Tears formed in my eyes as he reached the chorus. The chords got louder as his voice did making the song more powerful. The tears slipped silently out of my eyes and I brushed them away. Why hadn't Will told me he played piano? And could sing above all things? When he played the final chord, I clapped softly. He whirled around, his eyes wide with surprise. "Were you here the whole time?" he asked. I nodded. "Yeah," I sat down next to him on the piano bench. "and you are amazing. Why didn't you tell me that you played after I told you I play?" Will shifted uncomfortably in his seat. "It's just not something I share with people." he brushed his fingers along the keys, just like I always did. "You could've told me." I laid my head on his shoulder. He sucked in a breath and I immediately lifted it, remembering the fight last night. "I'm so sorry!" Will smiled and rubbed his shoulder lightly. "It's fine, Sash. I feel about ten times better than last night." I observed his bruised face. Already the scratches were almost healed and the bruises were fading. He had left off his shirt (since it was probably still wet) and from what I saw, the bruise on his stomach was fading as well. "How is that bruise?" I pointed at the one I had just looked at. He looked down. "I can barely feel it. If I could, I probably wouldn't have made the trek from the living room all the way here." I smiled. "Good. That's fantastic. But we still need to go see that doctor. I don't want you to have some fatal injury that I don't know about." he smiled. I thought about last night and the kiss. Did he remember any of it? "Will?" he looked over at me through his glasses. "Do you remember anything from last night?" he kept a straight face, but some color rose to his cheeks. He did remember some. "Uh, I do remember some, but they're kind of foggy. I think they were just dreams." he scratched the back of his head. "Did you happen to, uh, kiss me or anything?" It was my turn for my cheeks to go red. "No, no of course not. It must've been a dream." I could tell that he knew I was lying, but how was I supposed to explain this to him? 

When we walked back into the living room, Will found my camera. He picked it up and examined it. "I didn't know you liked photography." He turned it on and began to look through the pictures. I walked over to look at them with him. "We're just learning all sorts of new stuff about each other, aren't we?" he laughed. "Maybe later we can go out and take some new ones. It's really pretty with all the snow." I looked out my window and shielded my eyes. The snow was so bright that it almost blinded me. "Sure, we can do that. But," I said trailing off. "But?" he looked up at me. I picked up his shirt and threw it at him. "Put your clothes back on. We have to be at the doctor's in an hour."