Trust

We walked back to the place where Will sat, cleaning his glasses. He looked up when we rounded the corner. His eyebrows came together in confusion. I wouldn't blame him. He's probably wondering why the hell I have my arm draped around the enemy. Will pushed himself to his feet, brushing the dust from his pants. "What's going on?" I took my arm from around Simon and turned to face him. "I'll see you around Si, okay?" taking that as his cue to leave, Simon nodded and, shoving his hands into his pockets, walked away. I turned to Will. The frown was still plastered across his face. "You haven't answered my question, Sash." I took a deep breath and took his hand, trying to lead him back to our corner. He pulled away. "No, Sasha. Tell me right here why you were getting friendly with him." he practically spit out the word him. I looked down at my shoes, unsure how to start. When I looked back up, I didn't know what I'd been expecting. Maybe that Will would still look angry or confused. Instead, he just looked sad. "Will, he's sorry." The angry look came back and he turned away from me, running his hands through his hair in exasperation. "Sash, he's not sorry. He just wants you to get back with him." The way he said it, like I was a child who didn't understand why they couldn't run across the street. It was my turn to be angry. I grabbed his shoulder and turned him towards me, surprise lit all over his features. "Don't you dare talk to me that way! You think I wouldn't take that into account myself, Will?" I let out a sigh and recounted the whole conversation with Simon, down to the very last detail. Will still didn't look like he believed me and said as much. "Sash, he's using you. All those crocodile tears were just a way to get to you, to make you feel sorry for him so you'd go crawling back to him." I clenched my jaw. How could he think like this? Why could he not just believe me? "I told you, Will. He's perfectly content with being friends." Will leaned back against the nearby bookshelf, closing his eyes. "Well, we were friends and look what we are now." I couldn't believe it. Didn't he trust my love for him? "I can't believe you, Will! I love you, you know that? I've been done with Simon for ages, what makes you think that I'd just go back to him just like that." Will shrugged, looking the most upset that I'd seen him since someone spoiled the ending of the Divergent series. "I don't know anymore, Sash. Not with him around." I groaned in frustration. "God, Simon!" His face turned quickly to meet mine, hurt and anger playing in his brown eyes, the eyes I loved so very much. Only then did I realize what I'd done. "I'm sorry, Will. I-" The bell rang loud and strong. Will slung his backpack over his shoulder. "Don't." he said softly. I could just barely se a glimpse of his eyes, full of hurt, as he walked away. I fell to the ground and started packing up my backpack, tears silently dripping from my eyes. I picked up my notebook and all of my notes fell out of it. I couldn't pick them up, I covered my streaming eyes with my hands and just sat there, unable to so anything else. This felt so much worse than when I had anxiety attacks. My chest hurt with every breath I took and the rest of my body felt weak. So weak. Everything seemed to be falling apart today.