Chapter 11:The Aftershock

Paige:

I stare at Lyndon, not knowing what to say.

He shifts in his seat nervously. "I had wanted to tell you before but...then the thing with Andre happened."

I nod listlessly, my mind trying to comprehend this information.

Lyndon, my best friend, the one who was never serious, had gotten punched by Kennedy Washington in the third grade for trying to kiss her, the one whom had helped me with every thing that had happened over the years we had known each other,

Liked me?

His eyes meet mine,"Pay, please say something."

"Something" I say, grinning because usually Lyndon was the one to do that.

He gasps in mock hurt,"That's my line! You can't just take it!" He grins.

"Oh but I just did." I say laughing.

"Well," Lyndon says,"if you use it, you owe me a dance." He gives me a hopeful smile and wiggles his eyebrows.

I laugh and say,"Okay, but only one."

We walk over to the dance floor just as a slow song comes on. Lyndon grins and drags me over to the center.

I see Maz dancing with Henry and she smiles when she see Lyndon and gives me a thumbs up, mouthing "Proud of you".

I grin back and then look up at Lyndon.

He looks at me, eyes lighting up. The only other time I saw him this happy was when he got a Nerf gun for Christmas and he assaulted everyone with it for days.

We dance, we are close but not as close as some of the other people on the dance floor. *cough*Maz*cough*

I rest my head on Lyndon's shoulder and he whispers ,"You want to know something Pay?"

I nod looking up at him.

"All those years that I chased every girl in our grade? It was all just to try to make you jealous." He says this in a serious voice that l have never heard him use before.

I did remember that. Maz and I had just laughed at Lyndon and had dismissed that for boyish stupidity.

Then suddenly I realise how close we are.

Lyndon seems to notice too. He looks a me his eyes full of question.

Suddenly it's as if we are the only ones there, that Homecoming and everyone that we know has ceased to exist.

"Hey Paige, are you serious about Andre?" Lyndon asks.

There it is. The same question I have been asking myself for weeks.

I think about Andre, how he had seemed at first, how he was now.

Then my thoughts go to Lyndon, who has been at my side for as long as I can remember.

Then I whisper one word so quietly that no one else will hear.

"No"

He visibly relaxes and says " Thank God."

Then in that moment his lips meet mine.

*******************************
THE SHIP HAS SAILED. I REPEAT THE SHIP HAS SAILED.

Sorry about that but I have been wanting this to happen for a long time. 😂

Anyway, sorry for not updating for so long. I will try to update again soon but no promises.

PS hope the Paydon shippers are happy now. I know I am. 😸

Have a lovely day! 😊