ten

"Kiddo, time to wake up," my father's voice rings out

"Kiddo, time to wake up," my father's voice rings out. A groan escapes my lips as I turn pulling my pillow with me. "Kid, come on. I have to get to work and you have school."

"Or we could just stay home?" I suggest and I hear my dad laugh before my pillow is snatched. Another groan escapes my lips as I slightly sit up and meet my father's eyes.

"You've been suggesting that since you were in kindergarten, the answer is no-" my father pauses getting up off of his knees. "Now let's go. I need you to walk Toby to daycare."

"Oh right, he starts that today. Okay I'll be down in 5." My father nods and heads towards the door and out. He pulls the door shut with him as I look around for my phone finding it and grabbing it finding a text from Kat.

Kat: There's an assembly today. Meet me at the front of the school by the rock.

Me: Assembly for what?

I click my phone off and stand up, walking to my closet. I quickly change and run my hand through my hair before doing all my other important morning routine. Afterwards I grab my bag and head out the door and walking down stairs. There I find Toby in the living sitting on the couch.

"Toby, where's dad?" I ask causing the young boy to quickly get off of the couch and come running towards me.

"He left already," Toby said and I tilt my head to the side. "Let's go!" The young kid grabs my hand and pulls me towards the front door. A slight chuckle escapes my lips as I nod and we head out the door. We walk down the sidewalk, our hands staying together. As we walk I listen to Toby go on and on about how excited he was about daycare and then he went on and on about Spider-Man. I listen, nodding my head and keeping a small smile on my face as we round the corner. I'm thankful that the day care is by the high school so I don't have to go out of my way.

"Hey bud," I say stopping at the gate seeing few kids out playing and the advisor smiling while talking with a couple and their kid. I bend down in front of Toby and lock our eyes. "I'll be here after school okay."

"What time?" Toby asks tilting his head.

"4 o'clock-" I pause flicking my eyes back and forth between his eyes. "Have fun, okay?"

"Otay." Toby nods his head and I give him a small smile before he lunges forward wrapping his arms around me. For a moment I hesitate but then wrap my arms around him, closing my eyes. "You're not going to leave me right?"

"Leave you? What do you mean T?" I ask slightly pulling away.

"Like mommy left." My eyes go soft and my heart sinks at his words. I bite my lip and shake my head, grabbing his tiny hands.