15

Elizabeth pov

I called Brendon and invited him into the store, wanting to prevent him from meeting Ryan at our apartment.
I sit stressed behind the counter and find it hard to concentrate on my work. I keep thinking about what happened between me and Ryan and poor Nick. I think Brendon, because of his experience, can help me.
- Hey Z! - he says hello, smacking me on the cheek.
- Hey Brendon. - I reply and point to the corner where we sat last time.
Bren nods and moves in that direction.
I ask my colleague to stand at the cash register for me and I follow Bren between the racks.
- Is something going on? You look bad... - he says and turns away from the vinyl shelf.
- I have a problem. - I sigh and sit on a chair. - I hurt Nick and he doesn't seem to want to know me anymore. He's not writing to me back today! I haven't slept half the night, I've been so tormented by these negative emotions...
- Your conscience has spoken... - he says jokingly, but when he sees my face he gets serious.
He puts 'Vices & Virtues' vinyl into the player and turns it on. The sound slowly fills the space.
- I don't know what happened between you two, but I think you should give him time. I talked to Sarah about us today. She betrayed me, but she knew how to come, apologize and leave with dignity. Perhaps we can be friends again someday.... - he says calmly, taking my hand. - I think that if  Nick really loves you, he will come back. Between me and Sarah, that feeling burned out a long time ago. I thought I loved her, but if I did, I think it would hurt more and that I wouldn't forgive her so quickly. It's worse with Ryan... - He starts and I lower my gaze. - Is something wrong?
- No, no. It's just... I had a fight with Ryan, too. He's been living off me to feed Dottie and Elwood, and he actually owns Moonlight! Damn Ross. - I reply, concealing the fact that we almost did it on the table yesterday. But if Brendon still loves him, he shouldn't know. Not from me. If anything, he should hear it from Ryan.
- Well... I'm sorry he kept it a secret... But I'm not gonna let him off the hook. Because if he hid from me the fact that he bought the club after our favorite Overpass, then what else can he hide. He's ruined our sixteen years of impulsive love, full of ups and downs... - he falls silent.
His eyes begin to glaze over. Poor B...
- Would you like to go to the cinema with me tonight? We'll have fun, stop thinking about all these problems... - I suggest to change the subject.
- Why not? It's better than spending another evening alone. - That's right.
- Great. I'm off in half an hour. Can you wait? - I say, getting up from my seat.
- Of course. - he smiles gently and turns up the volume on the song.

- - -

After my shift ends, I leave the store with Brendon and we head to the movie theater. We talk about trivial things, not wanting to spoil the atmosphere.
- What movie do you want to see? - I ask him when we stop in front of the box office.
- Maybe a comedy? - he suggests. - Choose something. I'm going to buy popcorn. - He adds and disappears into the crowd.
I choose two tickets for the nearest screening of the latest comedy and go looking for Urie. The boy is standing with a big box of popcorn and two cups of Coke near the ticket taker. I grab him by the arm and pull him towards the employee. I hand him the tickets.
- Room five, row thirteen, seats fifteen and fourteen. Enjoy your movie's show. - He hands me back the tickets and lets us through.
We quickly find our seats and sit down. I pull out my phone and mute it so that no one disturbs me.
- Thirteen and twelve... There. - I hear a familiar voice.
Ryan and Gabe have also gone to the movies and have seats right next to me....
- Brendon - I whisper and trick the boy, who is watching the commercials with interest.
He doesn't know that RyRo is sitting on his right.
- What's up Z? - He turns his eyes on me.
- I've made up my mind. Let's get out of here. - I say and get up from my seat.
Brendon reluctantly rises from his seat, shoving a handful of popcorn into his mouth and at that moment his gaze meets Ryan's. I can just see him swallowing the roasted corn quickly.
- What are you doing here? Are you following me? - Urie asks, staring at him intensely.
- What?! Me?! Absolutely not! - he rushes out of his seat and stands in front of Bden. - Gabe asked me to go out so I wouldn't feel sorry for myself again, emptying another bottle! - he says.
- But he could have chosen another theater, another movie... - I interject.
- Coincidences happen, you know Z? - he hisses in my direction.
- Oh yeah! And that's why you accidentally broke up my relationship with Nick?! - I explode.
Brendon looks at me and then at Ryan. He is completely confused. Most of the people in the room are paying attention to us.
- No, it's not like that. God, Z, let me explain this! - he says.
- What do you want to explain? That you're a goddamn selfish person?! That you're hurting everyone around you because you're Ryan Ross and you deserve everything?! Let it go. - I punch him right in the face. I remember about Ryan's chain in my pocket. I pull it out and throw it to Ross. - Come on, Brendon, let's go. - I add and walk my way to the exit.
Urie stares at Ryan in silence for a moment more before walking over to him and dumping popcorn on his head.
- Enjoy the show, Ryan! - he calls out and quickly follows me to the exit, jumping every other step.
We run out of the theater, totally amused by this situation.
- Shall we have a drink? - I suggest.
- I would love to. - He smiles and shakes my hand. - Allow me.
I grab his arm and we walk towards one of my favorite bars.

- - -

- So... What happened between you and Ryan? - Brendon begins, swirling his glass of whisky.
I can't keep it a secret any longer if he accidentally found out about the situation with Ryan.
- It's a shame to say. - I reply and lower my gaze to my drink. - Ryan was drunk, started kissing me in the kitchen, wanted to forget about you... Then Nick came over, thought I was cheating on him, and ran out. He won't pick up from me, he won't open the door.... I don't know what to do to get him to forgive me. It was just a kiss and Ryan was drunk! - I'm taking a sip of alcohol.
- Look Z, Nick needs time, you know that because I told you. But Ryan... I didn't think he was drinking that much again. I thought he was better after therapy. I mean, he's supposed to have gotten an anti-alcohol implant... - tapping his fingers on the bar top. - Never mind about him. He's the reason everyone's turned their backs on him. Nothing has changed... - he gets silent and looks around. He moves closer to me and adds in a hushed voice: - We were afraid that he would end up like his father, but he is even worse than, of sacred memory, George Ross the Second.
- Possibly. I don't know, I haven't had time to get to know Mr. Ross. - I answer and step back.
Brendon drinks his whisky and stands up.
- I'm going to leave. It's been a long day and I'm tired. If you need anything, call me, Z. - he kisses me on the cheek and leaves.
I finish my drink and order another one. Bren is right, it has been a long and tiring day.