The Unsinkable Ship

Warning: suicide attempt 

   The carriage pulls to a stop in the middle of the busy street. A layer of dust has already settled over the air with the large crowd, pushing and shoving amongst themselves, trying to get a good gander at the large ship in the water. 

   There were so many people, that there was hardly any space between each person, maybe an inch or two at the most. Daddies holding up their short little girls so they too could experience the wonder that is the Titanic, young adults fantasizing about getting away and starting fresh, even elderly with wist in their eyes.

   They call it the unsinkable ship, the ship of dreams. How could it not be with how elegant and enchanting it is?! Surely something this huge and magnificent couldn't sink, so it is rightfully nicknamed. 

   The black door of the carriage, freshly painted, opens and out steps Komaeda Nagito. Hair slicked back in a simply perfect ponytail and dressed in a fine light-grey suit, he sighs, inhaling the crusty air and politely extending a hand back into the carriage. 

   A small, dainty hand finds him and out steps, his fiancee and childhood best friend, Nanami Chiaki, dressed in a lovely pale pink dress. She smiles, sucking in a sharp gasp at the beauty of the ship. Komaeda smiles at her awe.

   "Well, is it everything you dreamed, Chiaki?" He asks as the servants begin to unload their luggage. Komaeda reminds himself to tip them handsomely later.

   "It's amazing. . ," She marvels, "I've never seen anything like it."

   Komaeda glances over his shoulder where his mother is watching the two intently with her eagle-sharp gaze. With a sigh, he bends down and kisses her cheek.

   It's all for the show, on both ends of their relationship. But there wasn't much choice when your whole life is decided from the moment you're born. Growing up together, they both knew it would be better for them to marry each other (a nice, familiar face), than a snotty, spoiled brat. Especially if they had to be with the opposite sex. So, they had pretended to fall in love. 

   "I'm glad then."

   Nanami flashes him an anxious look. "But do you like it, Nagito?"

   "I think it's wonderful, darling." He assures her.

   He offers her his arm and she accepts it and together the two start moving towards inspection, family, servants, and luggage following close behind.

   "Are you nervous?" Nanami whispers.

   Komaeda swallows back a lump in his throat.

   "How can I not be nervous?" He mutters back, "They're forcing us into a marriage that neither of us wants practically the second we get back. How can I possibly not be nervous, Chiaki? Nervous, upset, sad. . ."

   "I'm sorry." She mumbles sadly, and Komaeda's eyes widen.

   "It's nothing against you of course-"

   "I know. I'm sorry for both of us."

   He pats her arm. 

   "Me too."

-

   "Mr. Komaeda, please-"

   He smiles, taking the maid's hands in his own. "Miss Tojo, please, I appreciate it, but I can put everything away myself. Here," He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a couple of coins, "I will still pay you for your services and tell anyone who asks that it was you who assisted me."