Bonding

Komaeda's mother stands six feet tall, with long greyish-white hair pulled up in a tight bun. She is wearing a floor-length navy-blue dress with a red brooch pinned at her neck. 

   She's staring at Hinata like he's filth-no, less than filth. Her face twists into a disgusting smirk before she turns her gaze towards her son.

   Nanami immediately grabs her fiance's hand and steps closer to him, almost protectively. Hinata frowns at this strange action before looking back at the looming woman.

   The buttermilk-haired boy dips his head. "Hello, Mother. I trust all is well with you?"

   Nanami smiles politely. "Good morning, Mrs. Komaeda."

   The woman isn't even looking at them, still glaring at Hinata. ". . .Who are you?" She asks coldly.

   Hinata scratches the back of his neck awkwardly.  "Nice to meet you. My name is Hinata Hajime."

   "And you are. . .an acquaintance of my son's?" 

   "I, uh, I guess you could say that. We did meet last night though. . .when he was going out for air." He mumbles.

   Nanami resists the urge to smack her forehead.

   "But we are becoming fast friends," Komaeda cuts in, "Isn't that lovely, Mother? You always did want me to branch out and make more friends, yes?"

   "But not with commoner swill!"

   Hinata raises an eyebrow. "Excuse me? Swill? I'll have you know-"

   "It's just until we get to America," Nanami interrupts, shooting Hinata a glare, "That's it. No one of importance will notice, so let us have this?"

   His mother bristles. ". . ."

   "Since you agree, Mr. Hinata, I'd like to invite you to dine with us this evening," Nanami smiles, "Wear something nice; it is usually is quite formal."

   Hinata's eyes widen. "But-"

   "Mrs. Komaeda, have you seen the view from the bow of the ship," She holds her hand out, "It's simply breathtaking. I've heard you can even spot some dolphins!"

   The woman reluctantly takes her future daughter-in-law's hand. "Very well, Miss Nanami. Nagito, I'll see you later."

   "Yes. . ."

   They both watch as Nanami leads the woman away, leaving the two alone once more. Hinata kicks at the ground. 

   "So, do you want to continue to hang out or something?" He asks awkwardly. 

   "Sure," Komaeda agrees hesitantly, "What shall we do?"

   Hinata thinks for a moment before sighing. "I could take you to meet my other friends I boarded this boat with. I mean, they're also, er, commoner scum, but they're great people."

   Komaeda's eyebrows twitch. "You see all of yourselves as scum?"

   Hinata laughs nervously. "Yeah, um, I was trying to think of how socialites would see us."

   The fluffy-haired boy frowns. "I don't care about rich or poor. The only thing that concerns me that way is hope or despair!"

   Hinata tilts his head to the side questioningly. "Hope or despair?" He repeats. 

   Komaeda shakes his head. "Don't worry about it. So I may meet your other friends?"

   "Yeah, uh, right, follow me then."