Pissing Off Some Socialites

Hinata frowns down at his now-empty plate, having not opted to say a word for the duration of supper.

   Why had Komaeda seemed so upset with him all of a sudden? Was he doing something wrong? Embarrassed him even? Nanami didn't seem to have a problem with his behaviour though, in fact, she had appeared to enjoy it.

   The band on the stage begins to play a cheerful tune as lively conversations ring up all around them. Nanami smiles at the couples moving out to the dance floor before turning back to Hinata. "You may as well get the full experience. . .would you care to dance, Mr. Hinata?"

   Hinata's eyes widen. "What? O-Oh, I couldn't. I don't even know how-"

   Nanami stands up, reaching out and grabbing his hand. "Oh, come on, just one dance. You don't mind, do you, Mr. Komaeda?"

   Komaeda smiles, sipping his water and leaning back in his seat. "Fine by me. Enjoy."

Hinata frowns, hesitantly reaching out and taking the girl's hand. Nanami brightens, pulling Hinata out of his chair and dragging him out onto the dance floor. She guides his hands, one draped around her waist and the other holding her free hand, her other hand on his shoulder.

"I don't know how to dance, Chiaki." He reiterates in a murmur.

Nanami merely smiles back as they begin to move, taking the lead to the male's embarrassment, counting the steps under his breath for Hinata's benefit.

   Hinata yelps quietly and stumbles several times, making Nanami giggle. "How are you enjoying this formal dinner, poor artist?" She asks.

   Hinata shrugs. "I mean, I guess it wasn't too bad. . .Nagito's mother hates me, and I think I did something to make Nagito upset with me."

   "Come on; there's no way he's upset with you; he adores you! He's probably just trying to please his mother or something. He did look like he was being scolded when he went off with Mrs. Komaeda for a moment."

The brunet let out a sigh of relief. "You think?"

"Of course!"

"Say, are you coming to the other party tonight with us? Sonia and Kaz will be there."

"I don't know; this is a really nice dress, I don't want beer spilled all over it. . ."

"Can't you just change beforehand? Actually, why don't you just go borrow a dress from Sonia?"

Nanami considers it. "Yes, perhaps."

Hinata glances back at the table where Nagito and his mother are now sitting side by side. Mrs. Komaeda has her arms folded over her chest as she glares at the pair while Komaeda himself just looks exhausted.

The tall woman leans over and whispers something in her son's ear while still scowling at Hinata and Nanami. Komaeda rolls his eyes in response and sighs.

"Any idea what Nagito and his mother are fighting about?" Hinata asks his companion, to which she shrugs in reply.

"I wouldn't worry about it, honestly. Those two are always bickering about something."

Suddenly, Komaeda rises from the table and steps onto the dance floor towards the couple. Hinata goes rigid, but Nanami flashes him a reassuring smile.

"May I cut in?" He asks in a polite murmur.

"Sure." Hinata and Nanami answer at the same time, letting go of each other. Hinata turns to leave the engaged couple in peace, but before he can so much as take a step, Nanami already appears to be back at the table, taking a sip of water.