Chapter 25

Aryanna whistled low as she was coming towards Rayne’s and Kalya’s campsite. 

Rayne stood up, her weapons drawn. 

“It’s just me,” Aryanna called. Rayne relaxed and Kalya jumped up.

“Arya!” She shouted, throwing herself at Aryanna. 

Aryanna crouched and caught Kalya up. She hugged Kalya back as Kalya hugged her fiercely. 

“How is James?” Kalya asked. 

“He is hanging in there,” Aryanna said. 

“Does he remember us yet?” 

“Not yet, hon, I’m sorry,” Aryanna replied sadly. 

“What are we doing? Moving on?” Rayne asked. 

Aryanna nodded. “Sheridan thinks we can handle James, or soldier 10789 as he still is. I don’t know if James is physically able to travel though, he is still constantly overcome with waves of pain,” Aryanna said. 

“Do you think Sheridan knows what he is doing?” Rayne asked. 

“Yes, but if we can’t travel with him then I or Sheridan will meet up with you two,” Aryanna said. 

Rayne nodded. “What about Finley?” she asked quietly. 

Aryanna’s face grew solemn. “He told us to get out, and not to wait. I think if he were going to catch up to us he would have,” she said. 

Rayne’s face fell. She drew in a long breath and nodded slightly. “When are you setting out?” 

“When I get back to Sheridan and James. We have to get James ready, at the moment he is still chained to the tree,” she said. 

Rayne nodded. “Alright, sounds like a plan,” she paused. “I am looking forward to being in the group again,” she added quietly. 

Aryanna rested a hand on Rayne’s shoulder. “Thank you for doing this, you should be able to join us soon. I hope,” she said. 

“I miss being with you, Arya,” Kalya commented from where she was packing up her stuff.

Aryanna swung the pack off her back and set it on the ground. “I know, I miss you too. Put your stuff in here,” she directed. Kalya brought her blanket and cloak over and stuffed them into the pack. 

“Alright, I should go back,” Aryanna said slinging the pack over her back again. 

Kalya hugged her again. “If James remembers, tell him I said hi,” she said. 

Aryanna tousled her hair and nodded. “I will,” she promised. 

She waved and jogged away from the camp, heading towards James and Sheridan.