Chapter 30

James and Sheridan were almost on top of Rayne, Aryanna and Kalya when Sheridan stopped and faced James. 

“You had better not hurt Kalya or anyone else,” Sheridan said. 

James looked at him. “You think I would hurt them? You do not know me at all. I would never do anything to harm any of them, especially Kalya and Aryanna,” James said.

Sheridan nodded but didn’t give way. “See that you don’t,” he said with a frown.  

James nodded and sighed.  He didn’t know what he could do for Sheridan to learn to trust him. He didn’t think he ever would at this rate. 

“James!” Kalya screamed and ran at him. 

James caught her up and hugged her. 

“I’m so glad you are alright, I was worried about you,” Kalya said, her voice muffled as her face was buried in his shoulder. 

Aryanna and Rayne stood up, brushing off their breeches and grinning at James and Kalya. 

James set Kalya on the ground and patted her head. Kalya reached up and took his hand, holding it and standing by his side. 

“James, this is Rayne,” Aryanna said gesturing to Rayne. 

James stepped forward and shook Rayne’s hand. “Nice to meet you,” he said softly. Rayne smiled and took his hand. 

“Glad to see you seem to be back to yourself,” she commented. 

James ducked his head and nodded. “I am also.” 

Rayne looked over at Sheridan who was hanging back a little bit away from the rest of them, a dark look on his face. She frowned and stepped towards him. 

“Sheridan? What is wrong, you have a fearsome look on your face,” she placed a hand on his arm. 

He looked down at her and closed his eyes for a moment. “I’m fine,” he said.

“You don’t seem fine.” 

“I’m sorry, it’s just he got better so fast, I don’t trust him,” Sheridan said, his eyes fastened on James.

“Sheridan, Aryanna would know if James were hiding anything, I trust Aryanna’s judgement,” Rayne said firmly. 

Sheridan sighed. 

“You must trust her also, I’m not saying you have to completely let your guard down, for none of us should, I’m sure Aryanna hasn’t either. But you should not be so hostile to James, he has not done anything of yet to earn your distrust,” Rayne said firmly. 

Sheridan nodded. 

“Are you sure it’s not something different? Is anything else bothering you?” she asked softly. 

Sheridan shrugged slightly. “Even though he made me crazy after a while, I miss Finley, I’m worried about him,” Sheridan said. 

“I understand, but you shouldn’t take it out on James, it’s not his fault, none of it is. I am concerned for Finley as well, but he chose it, he told us to leave, he made a choice for all of us, and you treating James badly will not make him come back. You have to realize that,” Rayne said, her eyes locked on Sheridan’s face. Sheridan looked at her and anger passed over his face, the anger faded and his face saddened. 

“You’re right,” he said softly. 

“Good,” Rayne patted his arm and moved back. 

Aryanna had been watching them and smiled slightly, Rayne had a good effect on Sheridan it seemed. She hoped Sheridan’s attitude would be different towards James now. She turned back with a smile towards James when he said something to her. 

Aryanna jumped when Sheridan spoke suddenly from behind her. 

“We should be moving off,” he said softly from behind her. 

Aryanna nodded. “Let’s go,” she said. 

Kalya maneuvered about until she could take Aryanna’s hand with her empty one. Aryanna smiled down at her as they started off. 

James looked over at Aryanna. “When we get a chance, soon, I need to talk to you,” he said firmly. 

Aryanna frowned but nodded. “Soon, let her,” her eyes dropped towards Kalya then back to him. “Let her have some time with you, she missed you greatly,” Aryanna said. 

James nodded and fell silent. 

After a while Kalya grew bored with the quick walking pace and let go of James and Aryanna’s hands. She waved backwards and ran a head a bit, running about in large looping circles. James watched her with a smile on his face. 

“What was it you were going to talk about?” Aryanna asked. 

James turned to her, his face growing solemn. “Adonis is going to invade with his perfect soldiers. He is going to try and take over all of Rytoria. If he gets control he plans on dosing everyone up on the optian. We can’t let him take over Rytoria,” James stated.  

Aryanna stopped in her tracks for a moment before moving on again. “All of Rytoria? The Woodlanders can’t defend against all of Adonis’ army, and the plains will not unite with the Woodlanders. Both are too proud. And the people from the plains will try to take the Woodlanders, the Woodlanders, knowing this, will be hostile. An alliance between the two peoples will be over before it could even start. The Plains and the Woodlands are the buffer between the rest of Rytoria, if we can’t band together and stop Adonis all will be lost. But getting everyone together is nigh on impossible,” Aryanna said. She spoke her thoughts as she said them. 

James looked at her with a strange look on his face. 

“What is it?” Aryanna asked with a puzzled frown. 

“You’re forgetting the one person who did it. Who got the two peoples together and who held them that way,” he said. 

Aryanna frowned. “What do you mean?” she asked. 

“Your father did it, the same blood runs in your veins, you can get them go join together!” James said firmly. 

Aryanna shook her head. “I’m not like him. I never knew him, how can I get them all together if I never knew what he was like?” she said. 

James put a hand on her shoulder. “When the time comes, I’m sure the words will come also,” he said. 

Aryanna smiled slightly, but her brow stayed slightly furrowed, worry in her eyes. 

“It’ll be fine,” James said.

Aryanna didn’t say anything, trying to figure out what she was going to do to get the two completely different people’s together.

------------------------------

Hey readers! 

I posted a pic of who I think looks like Aryanna!!

A better view is here, http://www.sashajacques.co.uk/images-headshots/2010-headshot-8462-copy.jpg

:D :D